Networked Printers not shown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davva, Mar 3, 2009.

1. davva

davva Private E-2

Hi
    Hopefully someone can shed some light on the problem below.
    Backgound
    I've just reinstalled XP Pro (version 2002) with SP3 on a Dell Precision 360. The reinstall was done to rid the machine of several small problems I had not found another solution for. On of the problems was connecting to an HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-in-one printer but the problem continues...
    Problem
    After reinstall of XP the machine (PC1) can connect to the internet and to other machines in its work group via two netgear routers (A wired router connects the desktop machines in the office and a wireless router connects the laptops and printers). To add a new printer I click the "Printers and Faxes" option from the Start Up Menu and click: add a printer>network printer>browse for printer. I can see the workgroup and other computers on it but neither printer (the HP mentioned above and a Brother DCP-6690cw A3).
    I have McAfee running on PC1 and have also tried the above with the firewall switched off.

So, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'll be happy to provide any exta info if needed.
    Thanks in advance
    Davva

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Are the printers shared or directly attached to the network?

Do you have file and print sharing turned on on the reinstalled XP machine?

3. davva

davva Private E-2

Hey
    thanks for the reply.
    The printers connect directly to the network via the wireless router.
    Yes, print sharing is turned on on the reinstalled XP Machine.
    D

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

So do the laptops see the printer?
    Can the desktops see any laptops?

If the answers are yes & no, it is because you are using 2 routers which creates 2 networks. The desktops are one and the laptops & printer are another.

5. davva

davva Private E-2

Hi Foogoo

Only one laptop in today.

It can see neither printer when I go to "add a printer" as described in my original post. However, the Brother printer is the laptop's default and I can print a test page on it from the laptop (?)
    I also had a look at "view network computers" on the laptop and all desktop PCs are visible. when I click on "show icons for networked UPnP devices" I was warned that the firewall had blocked this port. Kind of strange as I had checked the box for "enable UDP tracking" (UDP is how UPnP works, right?) Anyway, even after the port was turned on no printer icons appear.

All desktops can see the laptop

Cheers

Davva

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

tried adding them by ip?
    Add printer> Select LOCAL but uncheck autodetection
    next select create a port, select TCP/IP and put inthe IP of the printer.

You'll still need a driver from somewhere...

You did install the driver and utilities from the manufacture? Usually that will add the printer during install too.

7. davva

davva Private E-2

Hi Foogoo
    I have to admit, I avoided the install CD from the manufacturer as it proved of little use prior to the re-install of XP. After your post I gave it another shot and it worked fine. :-o
    I guess that the re-install fixed the problem.
    Cheers for your help. I'll remember the "create a port" option though in case I need it in the future.
    Davva

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds