Networking Desktop and Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lev, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Trying to get my laptop set up so I can access my desktop files from it. I'm running Windows XP MCE. I've set both computers on the same workgroup. They both access broadband via a wireless gateway modem hooked up to the desktop.

I can get the laptop to see the workgroup via My Network Places, but when I try to access the workgroup further to see the individual PCs it comes up with error message "<Workgroup> is not available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator (which is me) of this server to see if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".

Device manager shows network adapters on the laptop as:
    - 1394 network adapter.
    - Broadcom 802.11g network adapter
    - Marvell Yukon 88E8036PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller.

In the bottom right taskbar is shows "Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged"

I was of the thinking that as I was wireless internet, I didn't need a cable to be able to do this? This is really not familiar territory to me , however, and I would be gratefuyl for any guidance as to what I am doing wrong here. Thank you.

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Hello, Lev

I'm not sure if this will help you or not - but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

Also, A friend of mine had a problem with his wireless laptop - his set up sounds similer to yours - but I don't think his error messages were the same. Anyway, it turned out his software firewall was interfering with the connection - he had to add/allow some IP information, and a sub-net, I think.

Hope this is of help to you :)

3. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Ummm - I just noticed (too late to edit my first post) that the document in the link is pretty dated . . . Apr 2002 . . . so it may not be of any use to you.

:(

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

It may be old, but I will work through it tonight, together with a couple of other ideas that have come to mind, and see where I get to.

Thank you for the helpful advice :)

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Post the results of an "ipconfig /all" from each machine.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Excuse my ignorance....is that what I enter into the "Run" section on both machines?

7. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

ipconfig /all
    is done from a command prompt. in the command prompt window.
    Start > All programs > accessories > command prompt.

or in Run type cmd

Do you have identical user accounts on both machines with identical logons,
    so as to avoid the permission issue?

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I will have to do the above when I get home tonight, but identical user accounts on both machines? No...but I have set the workgroups to be identical.

9. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

The account thing is probably why you don't have permission.

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

So I need to make them both identical accounts on both machines, or I need to give myself permission on the mother computer? If the latter, how?

11. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

As far as permissions go.....you will require an account on the "visited" machine that can access the files within that machine.

Lets say machine A has two administrator accounts called 1 and 2.
    Lets say machine B has two administator accounts called 2 and 3.

If machine A wants to "visit" machine B's file system then machine A must supply the credentials for a user on machine B (either 2 or 3 in my example). Same thing will occur if machine B wats to "visit" machine A's file system.

If you make identical userid's on both machines you can circumvent the the login you will receive when accessing the other machine.

12. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK....got identical user IDs on both PCs and now I can see both PCs on the network connection menu in the same Workgroup. However, when I try to access the other PC I now get this message....
    ---------
    \\Atkin is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

---------

Any further advice/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

13. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Hey Lev ...after creating the identical accounts, did you log on to it on each computer (initialize the accounts, as it were)?

14. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

No I didn't..which makes me ask.......do I need exact passwords on BOTH machines? One machine has the same user ID but it's not a password login ...yet!

And now I can;t see the other computer because I've screwed something up I had right :rolleyes:

15. TimW

That is my understanding ....though I've heard to the contrary .....so would set up exact same users and logins ...and login at least once on each ...then see ..:)

16. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Right..I have that, but now I don;t see either computer on the workgroup from my laptop. I'm back to the first error message in my first post :mad:

As the Scarecrow said, " I wish I had a brain".

17. TimW

What did you do ....scarecrow?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I have no idea. I'm trying to remember and reset things, but I'm not getting anywhere except frustrated because I WAS so close..but not now :(

19. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

Just a thought on another potential problem.
    On the firewalls on each machine have you added the other to the trusted zone?
    in order to allow unfettered 2 way access.

20. TimW

Got a firewall that is running under the new user that needs to allow the other ip's?

@Badfogger ...great minds work alike!!!

21. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

New error message...the list of servers for this group is not available. :confused:

22. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK..state of play (as i realize I am confusing you as much as me!)

The desktop (mother ship) can see both computers on the workgroup network. the laptop (satellite) cannot see either on the workgroup network.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure I'm up to the firewall part yet, as I could at least see both machines on both computers before.

23. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

Sometimes I wonder if home networking isn't more painful than setting up
    an active directory infrastructure.

24. TimW

Check list:
    Print and file sharing is enabled on all machines.
    There is no space or misspelling of each "workgroup"
    try: net view /workgroup:"work group" (with qoutes) at a command prompt:)

"Not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource"

Symptom: Your WinXP, in a peer-to-peer network, may receive the following error when you double-click My Network Places/Computers Near Me: <Workgroup Name> is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Resolution: 1) Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on one or more computers in the workgroup. To do that, go to properties of Local Area Connection>properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)>General> Advanced>WINS, check Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (If you have a DHCP-assigned IP address, select Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server ). 2) Make sure the Computer Browser service is started.

For step by step troubleshooting "no accessible", visit this web site: http://www.howtonetworking.com/Troubleshooting/notaccessibale0.htm.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  25. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Well, if you get back to the point of seeing the workgroup and all machines....try this.

Go to START | RUN and type \\Atkin click OK

What do you get?

Then try START | RUN and type \\ followed by the IP address of the Atkin machine then click OK

What do you get?

26. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I guess it will have to wait until November when my husband goes away hunting for the week. Apparently he can't tear himself away from Myspace long enough to allow me to sort this problem!

Thank you for all your patient help, guys....I will print this out and keep your advice until such times as I can use it.

27. TimW

Surely there is an errand that he needs to run for you ....something that will guarantee future good nighttime experiences? Wash the dog ,,,, rotate the tires ,,,,etc.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

28. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You'd think, huh? :rolleyes:

29. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Hey lev, each machine do an ipconfig /all and post the info, then we can start from there.

30. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK...bumping this up as I've been working on it all morning and still not successful.

This is the ipconfig /all of the desktop - which has the modem/router.

Purpose: Still trying to share files and printer with laptop. Laptop ipconfig /all to follow:

-----

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Desktop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-78-B0-52
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 10, 2006 1:46:27 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 11, 2006 1:46:27
    PM

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>

31. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

This is the ipconfig /all from the latop which access the net wirelessly with no probs.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-D19C9303AC>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lisa
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Eth
    ernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-B8-8D-28-C7

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-42-55-D9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 10, 2006 1:17:54 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 11, 2006 1:17:54
    PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-D19C9303AC>
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-D19C9303AC>

32. TimW

Ok, Lev ....it's been awhile since you started this ...hubby must be hunting, eh?

Questions ....what protocals are on the laptop ....client for MS networks?
    And do both machines have an exact same user account ....accessed at least once?

Are you logging into the domain or just the local machine?

33. MrPoohh

MrPoohh Private E-2

I have been dealing with this same issue. I am not sure which hint helped me the most, but I now have my laptop and computer networked with no problems. I messed with my firewalls to allow stuff I had previously blocked and I created the same user account on each computer.

Thanks for general reading. :)

34. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Glad to hear you have had a darn site more success than I have, Mr Pooohh :)

@Tim...FWIW & FYI...no...my husband was sat right next to me at time of typing....

35. I recently did this as well, what I found out was the problem was that I have Windows Firewall and had the "Dont allow Exceptions" box checked in the firewall Setup Menu. If that isn't checked, I would try turning the firewalls off temporarily and see if that solves your problem then work out turning the firewalls on.

36. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I don;t run Windows Firewall, but your point is valid generally for firewalls, so I may try that at some point. Thanks for the tip :)

I got to the point where I could see all PCs in the workgroup on both computers, but never both at the same time. Weird :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds