Networking Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krit86lr, Mar 9, 2006.

1. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hello, Good Morning!

Okay. So early yesterday morning I decided to check my router's manufacturer website for upgrades. (Bad idea :rolleyes: )

I installed the one available. Now the other computer on the network cannot connect to the internet. It says that a connect is established, and excellent yet you can't access the interent. Both computers are running XP SP2, and the router is a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz with a cable modem.

After hours of reconfiguring over-and-over I uninstalled the router, and deleted the upgrade then rebooted. The wireless computer still can't connect to the internet, but the connection is there.

I have totally ran out of ideas. Except that I did notice that my Routing and Remote Access Service won't start. It gives the error code 340, but that code doesn't match Microsoft's KB.

This seems completely ridiculous because I've done this so many times, and have never had this problem. Any ideas? :)

Both computers have eTrust Antivirus, Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, Ewido, CWShredder, Windows Defender, DSOStop2, and SpywareBlaster.

Thanks in advance!
    K

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Deleted the upgrade? You can reset the router to default settings, check your documentation, its usually a small button in the back.

3. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Hi Major Attitude, and good morning. Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes I deleted the upgrade because I didn't have any problems until the upgrade. I have reset the router about 5+ times now.

I'm going to post information from the event viewer in a few minutes.

Thank you for any additional ideas! :)

4. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

The wireless computer has the following 2 errors in the event viewer.
    1. Source: Browser Event ID 8032
    The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NwlnkNb. The backup browser is stopping.

2. Source: Browser Event ID 8021
    The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser maser \\MyComputerName on the network \Device\NwlnNb.

My Computer has the following errors in the event viewer.
    1. Source: DCOM Event ID 10024
    The machine wide group policy Access Limits security descriptor is
    invalid. The security descriptor is defined as an invalid Security
    Descriptor Definitions Language (SDDL) string. The requested action was
    therefore not performed. Please contact your administrator to get the security descriptor corrected in the Group Policy settings.

2. Source: Service Control Manager Event ID 7024
    The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific
    error 340 (0x154).

3. Source: Dhcp Event ID 1007
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the
    Network Card with network address XXXXX... . The IP address being
    used is XXX... . (The IP address being used is wrong)

4. Source: Tcpip Event ID 4199
    The system detected an address conflict for IP address XXX...
    with the system having network hardware address XXX... . Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result. (This is odd because the IP address is the Network address, which is configured by the router)

I'm still working on reading up on this stuff so any help would be awesome. Thanks again. :)

5. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

I found the solution!! (A strange solution) It was one of the following. (Not sure which one because I did them back-to-back).

1. On my computer (host comp) I ran ipconfig /release then ran ipconfig /renew.

2. On my computer I ran the Esentutl.exe repair tool for security\database\secedit.sdb...backed up...then rebooted.

So either I needed the ipconfig /release /renew, or a security database repair. Maybe this will help someone someday. Thanks again for your help Major Attitude. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds