Networking/network adapters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hulagurl, Aug 4, 2008.

1. hulagurl

hulagurl Private E-2

Aloha,
    I’m having problems with connecting to the Internet after loaning my extra laptop -Gateway ML6720 running Windows Vista Home Premium to an Aunt. Cannot connect at all.

Wondering if someone can help me with the repair? Computer is missing the Network connections and also the network adapters all have those little triangles with exclamation points on them.

Here’s a detailed list of things I did:
    1. Clicked on Internet Explorer. No connection, therefore clicked on Diagnose Connection Problems.
    2. Windows Network Diagnostics – Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically. Contact your Internet service provider or network administrator or “click here” for information about things you can try to help resolve the problem.
    3. Used the “click here” and was sent to Network Diagnostics
    4. Clicked to open Network Connections. There are no connections!!
    5. Attempted to set-up a “new incoming connection”, through the Internet, found networking software checked – TCP/IPv4, File and Printer Sharing and QoS Packet Scheduler.
    6. Clicked on “allow access” and came up with error message – Windows could not create your connection.
    7. Went on another tangent and checked the Device Manager. The Network Adapters all have little yellow triangles with exclamation marks on them.
    8. Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) and Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter listed as a Network Adapter.
    9. Double clicked on one and the following error message on the General Tab– This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).
    10. On the Device Tab, tried to update Driver Software and was informed that the best driver software for your device is already installed.

Please help ….

Mahalo!! (Thank you)

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Go back to Device Manager, Right click both your adapters, Choose uninstall, Reboot and the drivers will reload.
    You can also check Gateway support after this to see if there are any updated drivers for your adapters.

3. hulagurl

hulagurl Private E-2

Tried to uninstall Network Adapter for the Wireless Adapter
    Machine went thru the whole charade of warning you that you are un-installing - but after that window closed - you can still see the adapter listed.
    Restarted and nothing happened - ie didn't reinstall.

Successfully uninstalled the Fast Ethernet Adapter. Then restarted and it re-installed successfully.

Went thru the same process with the WAN Miniport and 6TO4 Adapters. Like the Wireless Adapter, they all did not uninstall or reinstall upon restarting.

Could it be possible that there's a hardware problem which doesn't allow me to uninstall all of the adapters? Or should I also delete the driver software for the device and then re-install the software?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Yes you can do this.
    I would remove software, reboot, uninstall network adapter, reboot and then see if the drivers reload. At this point you can either use the Windows wireless connection software or reload the software that Gateway provided. You should only have 1 utility controlling the wireless connection however. If you choose to run the Gateway software, you need to disable the WZC service.
    START > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services > Disable WZC service in start up type.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds