Never seen this XP error in setup before

Discussion in 'Software' started by bizzybozz, Apr 5, 2007.

1. bizzybozz

bizzybozz Private E-2

Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD.

Please insert your Windows NT 3.51 Workstation, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millenium CD into your CD-Rom drive.
    When the CD is in the drive, press ENTER.

I press Enter and it sends right back to that screen. This Labtop is a Dell labtop. Im wondering if it needs a Dell windows cd to be setup. But I have never seen this error in all the times I have installed XP. If someone could help that would be awesome. Thanks.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Are you booting from disc?

Sounds to me that the CD-ROM drive is just not reading the disc. How old is the drive, and have you ever tried using a lens cleaning CD?

IMO, it would be a cheap and easy step to try, as well as valuable for other CD drives you might have at home.

3. bizzybozz

bizzybozz Private E-2

Lens cleaning CD? Any suggestions in name brand? Also, could it be that it is a Dell and might need a Dell windows cd for this model of labtop? Im really not sure. Could it really be the lens though? It detected the cd when i boot from cd. The whole setup works but when it gets to this part it just throws me off. Thanks

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No, I wouldn't think that your Dell computer requires a Dell CD. I've formatted tons of Dell machines with retail CDs.

What you're telling me kinda says to me that cleaning the lens is the wrong tree to bark up. If the CD boots, and you are running setup (a fact I had missed from your first post), then the CD is being read.

Again, the age of the machine becomes relevant. How old is the hardware?

At what stage in setup does this error occur?

Is the CD a full retail copy of the OS?

5. bizzybozz

bizzybozz Private E-2

This Labtop is i think 2 or 3 years old. This error occurs right after you have read the agrrement and accepted. Then it comes to that error. And the OS is an original home xp cd. No bootleg or anything.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Okay, I've figured out the problem!

You have an UPGRADE version of XP, which means it needs to be installed OVER an existing installation.

I think you may be in a little trouble if you do not have the CDs for the OS you are upgrading from. If you still have a license for the older OS, you can order a replacement CD from Microsoft.

See this link for contact information.

7. bizzybozz

bizzybozz Private E-2

Nice job! You are right. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

8. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Hi all,

New user here, but long time major geexor. :)

I'm getting the same issue, i'm trying to install a new harddrive on an existing system, i've got a windows xp home xp2 cd, i'm NOT upgrading, i'm just swapping out the hard-drive and using the same cd I put on my system originally.

I take out my old hd, put in the new and try to install windows fresh but get that error when i try to install xp

HELPPPPP! LOL

thanks,
    jeff

9. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

*BUMP*

anybody? :cry

10. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Come onnnnnnnnnnn, i posted this monday or tuesday and got nothin, help meeeeeeee please :'(

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please start your own thread! People overlook this since it's been resolved for the OP... that's why you should always start your own thread.

Include the exact error message you are getting.

12. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Make, model, and size of original and replacement HardDiskDrive? Sometimes size does matter, especially with older equipment..., have you looked into the BIOS? Are your jumpers set properly?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds