New 250gb hd 131 showing? Partition Help??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mag00, Feb 18, 2006.

1. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

Bought a new 250 g hd for my box. I want to install xp pro. I am at the stage where it shows 1 partition at 131 gb

Xp pro disk in cd bay, boot disk in floppy.

Any help would be appreciated
    Dave

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Plain-Jane XP by default will only recognize drives up to 132GB. If you create an SP2 slipstreamed CD using autostreamer, it will recognize the full drive upon install. Or, complete your install, update to SP2 and then use the "diskmgmt.msc" command in the "run" line to format the remaining hard drive as a second partition.

Autostreamer: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4444

3. trunksthebattler2000

trunksthebattler2000 Private First Class

Or if you want all the space on the same partition you can go to your HDDs manufacturer's site and they should have some program that will allow you to use the full capacity when installing. That's what I had to do.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Most drives, with the exception of Maxtors will allow formatting of the drive with XP SP2 with no problem. Maxtor's are the only ones that I know of that insist on using their utilities to format the drives.

5. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

Windows XP SP0 - WONT TAKE BIGGER THAN 131GB
    Windows XP SP1 - WILL TAKE DRIVES UPTO 500GB
    Windows XP SP2 - SAME AS ABOVE
    Windows 2003 Server - UNLIMITED

Does that answer?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've always formatted Maxtors using the XP CD.

7. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

yes, I have a Maxor and I can format it like a normal HDD. Mine is SATA though...

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I have always had problems with Maxtors working correctly out of the box for some of the older units. The newer ones are getting better. Personal preference is Seagate.

9. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

It's a seagat 250. I now have the xp pro installed, but apparently not the sp2. I have a cd from microsoft, but when I plug it in to install security upgrades, it says it out of date?

At any rate had a bit of a time getting things right as I didn't have the mobo drivers, then I was installing ati all in wonder agp 9600xt 128 video, two hd's one with 98se and the 250 with xp pro. I will try and partition the other part sometime down the road, and maybe install server 2003 on that, or maybe apache or something, haven't decided.

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya.
    Dave

10. Bill yeager

Bill yeager Private E-2

Re: New 80gb hd showing 2gb

bought and installed a new maxtor 80gb hd on a gateway 466 put windows 98 on it , on start up, and in my computer, it reads just 2 gb , I took that one out, and put a 8gb hd and it still reads just 2 gb . can some one tell me what I"ve done wrong.

11. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

How about ya start your own thead and not hijack others bill ;)....

@mag00 here is the DL for SP2.... donno if SP2 will fix the problem, but eather way you should have it installed IMO :)...

12. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I have the same problem I have a store bought XP service pack 2 I get the same message I simply turn my pc clock back a year,install the updates,then put my clock back to the right time,install my antivirus and firewall then go straight to microsoft for the rest of the updates :)

13. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

Well finally last week I went to microsoft and downloaded the sp2. Everything worked just fine and now I have partitioned the drive into two.

Thanks for all the help ;) ,

Just about have this beast set up right.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds