new 2ms monitor is still blurring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robert707, Mar 5, 2012.

1. robert707

robert707 Corporal

I got a BenQ XL2410T monitor with '2ms' response time, but the blurring is as bad as it was with the older montior, an ACER AL1913 with a 23ms response time. Are all LCD's still slow and there will always be blurring?

On the other hand, could it be my computer?
    I'm using VGA, would a HDMI or DV-i connection eliminate the blur?
    Would a graphics card make a big difference? I have "Intel Graphics media accelerator" I think that's a graphics chip.

The thing is even the least taxing things like scrolling text and video was blurring so I figured that had to be the screen. Is there any point in trying another screen ? Is the advertised 2ms(gtg) just hype?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Sadly, this is an easy answer. The Benq monitors are excellent. You should not be blurring especially on a 2 ms response time. Using VGA is a bad idea however here comes your issue. Changing to a different connection will not help especially if your output is VGA (blue). Your problem is the video card. Intel does not make a good video card, never has. You swap in a decent ($150+) video card from nVidia or AMd and use a HDMI or DV-i connection and your problem should go away.

3. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Do you get a new port with the graphics card? Or does the HDMI or DVi thing come straight from the mother board? If I only have a VGA port on my mother board now does that mean I'm looking at upgrading my whole system to fix this ghosting?

4. Major Attitude

Yes, look for a newer video card with a HDMI or DVi port. As mentioned, nothing is going to make a Intel card any good. Many motherboards have them because they are a cheap answer. In the future you will know when you see Intel video to run away.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, robert707...

Agreed with MA about the video card...however, you might be advised to ensure that your system can handle a new card - many beefier video cards require more power, and the interface (AGP, PCI, PCI-Express, etc.) must mesh accordingly...

Why don't you supply us with the make and model of your computer? I'm sure some of the hardware gurus here will make some suggestions for you...

6. robert707

robert707 Corporal

@Caliban: Is this enough info?

Mother board is MSI G31m3 V2 (has PCI_E1 slot)
    My processor is a Pentium dual core CPU E5200 @ 2.5GHZ. on Windows Xp.
    Power supply ATX12V 2.01 450 w
    Under display adapters it says: Intel(r) G33/G31 (intergated chip?)

First concern:
    As I mentioned is my first post, the main reason I need the card is just so I can to eliminate blurring and ghosting on the basic things like video and scrolling text on a new 2-5ms screen. That's my main requirement.

Second to that, while I'm at it:
    Is there a graphics cards that could handle XBOX 360 level graphics? Has 2005 tech 'shrunk' or can now run on less power by now? Or however that works. Like could I afford to upgrade to a video card that could play "Assasin's Creed 2" for example without turning my PC into an over-clocked heat tank? 'Cause if that's still more trouble than it's worth I'll leave that alone for now.

Here are two cards I'm looking at at a PC store near where I live:

Asus EAH6770 DC/2DI/1GD5 AMD 6770 Chipset (850Mhz) 1GB (4000Mhz) GDDR5 DVI/ HDMI/VGA PCI-Express 2.1 Graphics Card
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=039826

Asus EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) ATI Radeon HD 5450 Chipset (650MHz) 1GB (800Mhz) GDDR3 Dual Display DVI/HDMI/D-Sub PCI-Express 2.1 Graphics Card
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=030149

How do these stack up?

thanks for your time. Robert.

7. Major Attitude

Should be plenty. Under system specs for the new video card it must be a PCI-e slot and 450 watts must be enough power. both are good things, odds are you could put a pretty high end video card in there above and beyond what you need.

I can't answer to, those 2 cards, I prefer Nvidia cards. Better driver support and Nvidia has been beating ATI (AMD) for years. 1 GB cards for that price is great so either would be worlds above what you have.

8. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Yeah the store page gave me options to list ATI or Nvidia cards. I had some probs with Nvidia way back so I was under the impression they weren't the best but if you say that's not right then I'll give them another chance.. The Nvidia list is waaay longer so I guess I'll have to sift through it!

Any of these manufacturers of "powered by Nvidia" ones to avoid?
    Would it make sense that an ASUS card would be best for a ASUS monitor?

ASUS
    EVGA
    GIGABYTE
    MSI
    NVIDIA
    PNY ZOTAC

thanks again.

9. Major Attitude

Not really. Essentially these companies are given what is called a reference board which is the basic video card design. How they change it, if at all, dictates the differences. Most don't, they simply brand the video card, package and distribute the video cards. It's been like this since I can remember. If you see a BIG price difference read the details. More ram or overclocking would be the biggest differences, otherwise prices should be similar for same chipset.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds