new 500gb hard drive never recognized in bootup screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejames82, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ejames82

ejames82 Private E-2

in all fairness, i have requested help with this problem at other sites as well. if i find a solution i promise to post it on all sites.

i just bought a brand new western digital WD5000AAKB caviar blue 500gb IDE/PATA hard drive from tiger direct. i have had success cloning smaller hard drives to 160gb hard drives with easeus disk copy, so i thought i would try to clone from my original HDD to this 500gb. i was able to clone the 160gb HDD's right out of the package without any preparation. i thought i would be able to do this with this 500gb as well, however, the results i get are strange. after making the master/slave connection and powering up, the 500gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen, or else the bootup screen stalls at the part where it detects the hard drives. i must admit that i am not really certain how to have the jumpers set on this 500gb. the master drive is no problem because i have pulled off this procedure before, cloning 40gb to 80gb. i have had the jumpers on the 500gb set at both cable select and slave. the HDD is brand new, so i could get my $ back, but i think i am making a mistake of some kind. i am very much a newbie at this, and i have just gotten lucky a few times with this "hobby". just trying to keep a backup of some cheap computer's data, in case. any expert help would be most appreciated.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

3. ejames82

ejames82 Private E-2

petaluma

i tried swapping ribbon cables and that worked. i am running disk copy as we speak. thanks.

4. ejames82

ejames82 Private E-2

i solved the problem. i swapped ribbon cables and the hard drive was detected. it showed up in disk management, and disk copy made a clone without a hitch.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds