New Active Directory DNS problem - Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pari22, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Hello all,

I just brought up a new LAN domain called "ohinc.org" with win 2003 server and AD. All is working great execpt one thing... When I try to browse to www.ohinc.org from the AD server (domain controller), it has no problems. When I ping it (www.ohinc.org), it gives me correct ip address. However, when I am at workstations that joined the domain, they are not able to find IP of www.ohinc.org... they are ok with any other addresses (google, yahoo,...) but only the ohinc.org associated ones. workstations also cannot ping mail.ohinc.org. I know this is got to do with LAN domain name and I have to configure either DNS, WINS, or DHCP correctly. But I am not able to find out which one. Can anyone help with this?

ps>> -www.ohinc.org is outside of the LAN hosted by web hosting service.
    -domain controller is dhcp, dns, wins server.
    -on a workstation, when I changed dns to one of the public dns, it worked fine, but then can't log-in to the LAN domain...
    If you need more info, please let me know!

thank you in advance

2. JPSchwartz

JPSchwartz Private E-2

Make sure you have an "A" record listed on your new domain controller for www. Point the workstation to the domain controller. This is normally all you need to do. For troubleshooting, use the nslookup tool on the workstation to verify it can talk to the Domain Controller, and to see what info it gets back.

3. pari22

pari22 Corporal

~1. Yup, it certainly normaly would. And this is one of those unusual situation, & that's why I'm here asking questions...
    ~2. Like I said, WS is domain joined. It wouldn't be able to do that if not talking to DC...
    Using LAN dns server, can't find mail.ohinc.org... but using web-nslookup tool, it finds it fine since it's using different dns server -- already explained with original question.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE?

4. JPSchwartz

JPSchwartz Private E-2

Just to clairify, you have added records in your new domain that match those in your public copy, such as www, mail, MX information etc? From the domain controller itself, when using itself for DNS, it can find www, mail, etc?

Have you tried clearing the cache on the workstation ipconfig /flushdns and the cache on the server, in the DNS admin tool, view advanced, right click on cache and delete.

5. pari22

pari22 Corporal

~1 Already answered... Please read the original question.
    ~2 Yup.

CAN PLEASE SOMEONE ELSE HELP?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds