New AGP video card: won't plug and play??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anvilring, Apr 9, 2009.

1. anvilring

anvilring Private E-2

I just bought a new AGP video card, plugged it in, and just get the little adjustment menu bouncing around all over the screen.

I discovered my old card was overheating, so I plugged an old, (very old) AGP card off of an old computer in my MB and the screen came right up!
    But not with the new one. It has a different type plug (two of'em which are identical) but the card came with an adapter which is the right one to fit my monitor's plug. The monitor also has that same plug choice as well; either / or. I've tried both card plugs; nothing....

Heres what I installed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131141

So whats up with this? any simple thing I've missed? Shouldn't it just come up even without the proper resolution being set?

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Just curious, was the old card a nVidia? I noticed you're replacing it with an ATI card. If so, you more than likely have a driver problem.

3. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Hmmmm. What's the rating on your power supply? It could be possible that your PSU isn't putting out enough juice for that new card

4. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

5. anvilring

anvilring Private E-2

Ok... the fan on the new card isn't running. So what does that mean?

I showed this to my son and he said: "did you plug in the power cord?"

What!! :confused theres a power supply wire? See, the old card's power supply came right off the buss to the card, but these new ones, well, ya gotta plug'em in!

I'll try this again this eve.... sorry for being so ignorant of new hardware....

regards, m

6. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Yes, that card does need to be plugged into your PSU. It should have come with a adapter for just that. Hopefully you power supply has enough juice to handle the load.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds