New Barebone Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoagieh, Feb 11, 2011.

1. hoagieh

hoagieh Private E-2

I just built a new computer from Tigerdirect with an AMD 1100T, ASUS Motherboard M4A88T. Booted up and all I get is a "no signal" from my monitor, it doesn't post. I don't get any beeps but I do if I pull my Corsair 4gb ram out of the computer and turn it on, then I get the no memory installed error beep.

I have replaced the motherboard and psu but got the same results. I'm maybe thinking it's this memory.. but would it do that?

Thanks!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum :) It could be memory,CPU or video card.First things first reset the Cmos jumper by removing the small coin shaped battery for 20 secs then replace and try to boot.

Are you using the onboard video or card?

Make sure your you monitor cable is connected to the on board VGA out if your using onboard,if your using a card make sure its connected to the video card.It sounds simple but its a common mistake.

For testing use only one stick of memory is slot 0 a known working stick if your have one,if you don't try each of sticks separately,disconnect all hard drives and add in cards,make sure your CPU fan is connected.

Run through these suggestions and get back to us:)

3. hoagieh

hoagieh Private E-2

Took the battery out and I get the same results.

I have a video card but I took that out of the equation, I've plugged into the vga and dvi port on the motherboard.

I have everything unplugged right now (dvd drive, hard drives) just the bare essentials. I only have 1 4gb Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 and have tried it in all slots.

The only time I get a beep from my internal speaker is when I take the memory completely out, then I get the no memory beep. Also, there is the memOK! light that is red on my board.

I appreciate the help, thanks.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Right try this guide it similar for all asus boards,your board may have it in a slightly different place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azllBzU5PU

I thought I'd post this instead of reading your manual,if you look through your manual you should find the procedure.

5. hoagieh

hoagieh Private E-2

Tried that.. it just blinks and then displays red.

I have new memory on the way, should have it tonight. I guess if that doesn't work the only thing left would be the cpu.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

ENSURE that the memory is installed in the CORRECT slot. Some motherboards are very picky where RAM is installed... quite possibly you have it in a black slot and it needs to be in a blue, vice versa, etc. Try a single stick of RAM in every slot and see if that makes a difference.

While all RAM slots can be utilized on a motherboard (in most cases), the order in which the RAM slots is used is important (i.e. if only one stick, it goes in 1st slot, if two sticks, 1st and 3rd, etc... and this is ONLY an example of what I mean).

7. hoagieh

hoagieh Private E-2

Just plugged in new Kingston ram tonight and now she's working! hooray!

Thanks everyone for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds