New budget build help please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcsmc, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

As you might already be aware, my current aging computer is having major issues, and they keep popping up. Either way, I'm THINKING about replacing the motherboard/CPU/possibly memory with very low budget components until I can get the stuff I really want in a few months.

I wish I didn't have to buy new memory, but DDR (Dual channel DDR400/ 333/ 266 -184pin, to be exact) is pretty outdated, and I don't want this cheapo build to last a short while... after I get my performance build done, this system will act as a home server.

If the build is cheap enough, I will probably do it. I don't want to spend more than $300... and that's max. However, all I need is a mobo, CPU, and memory. I think I still have an old working power supply (I can use my current PSU right now anyway), so all I will need in the future to make it a server is a case.

I'm leaning towards AMD/ATI (being it's a budget build).

Things I'm looking for:

Definitely a compatible PCI-E slot for my current graphics card (GTX 470, will move to performance build and I'll just use onboard graphics for the "server" later), 4GB DDR2 RAM, if it's not too much of a price difference, I'd really like USB 3.0 capability on it... but if the price does jump a bit, forget it. I wouldn't mind a mATX mobo (if my GTX 470 can fit in the PCI-E slot, I will have no issues fitting it inside my full tower case for now), but I'd prefer standard ATX. I also need at least 4 SATA ports (when it ends up functioning as a server, I'll probably have 4 HDDs).

I want quality components (I've had recent bad experiences with MSI though... so I'm steering away from them for the time being).

I WAS going to simply replace my CPU in this machine, since I think that's the culprit of my current problems, but I've never really liked this motherboard (graphics card in PCI-E slot blocks off 2 SATA ports, the BIOS sucks, etc.), and I'll be needing a second machine in the future anyway... I WAS planning on keeping this one, but it's just not worth the pain. (Current motherboard link)

Anyway, any ideas would be welcome!

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

That an issue. Old power supplies loose quality after awhile. What is your current PSU?

Also having a 470 you will probly want an quad. Anything less would be a bottleneck IMO.

If you have issues with MSI I would suggest trying Asus. I haven't have any issues with them.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi pclover,

Current PSU is Corsair 1000W... not worried about issues there. :-D However, I'll likely get a new PSU for this build when I get my performance mobo/CPU/etc. to connect to this PSU. Old PSU is a 500W (I believe)... it's definitely nothing fancy, but I never had issues with it. It's only a few years old, anyway. I'll see when I get to that point what I'll end up doing.

By quad, is that less than $300 for the mobo, CPU, and 4GB DDR2 RAM?

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Although I realize a $2000 pimped-out gaming PC is beyond most budgets (including mine), here are a few things you might want to consider - especially if you plan on keeping the new build for several years:

• Go with an AM3 board and DDR3 memory. The price gap between DDR3 and DDR2 is now minimal; the performance boost of DDR3 is worth an extra $10-$30 bucks.
    • Skimp on the things you can easily add or upgrade later. If you're not doing heavy gaming or graphics, on-board video and a single 2GB DDR3 stick will get you started.
    • Consider spending a few extra bucks on a board with SATA3 and USB3 connections. They'll work with SATA2/USB2 devices now; this will give you faster speed if or when you add new drives or devices.
    • Read the reviews on Newegg and Amazon. As noted in your comment on MSI, it's better to pay a few more bucks for a quality product that will last several years.
    • Don't skimp too much on the power supply, especially if you plan to upgrade the video card in the next few years. Again, look at the product reviews. If you leave the PC on 24/7, buy at least an 80 PLUS efficient PSU - it'll save about $20/year on electricity.

Finally, remember Black Friday: Although many stores and online sites claim they've already started their big sales, I suspect the end of this month (the true Black Friday followed by Cyber Monday) will bring even better deals.

Good luck on your new build. :)

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

He already has that Corsair 1000W PSU would should be plenty

He already has a GTX 470 which should be good enough

I don't see the need for USB3 until more devices support it. Although it's a good thing to have.

I agree. Check the deals and see what they come up with.

If you look DDR2 costs more then DDR3 now.

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you're planning on keeping the system for a few years, I'd pick a board with both SATA3 and USB3 connections. Given the price difference between SATA2 and SATA3 boards is currently about $30, it's cheaper and easier than having to mess with SATA3 or USB3 expansion cards in the future.

Nothing personal, but I've heard the "I'll wait until I really need it" thing over the years on CD-ROM drives, DVD drives, SATA (versus IDE) connections and built-in Ethernet. Since SATA3 and USB3 are official standards, I suspect new products will rapidly incorporate them.

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hang on there guys, the OP wants to build a cheapo now.;) Look for combos on e-Bay for AM2 X2 machines as you won't need more than that for an eventual server. Heck, I gave away my 1GHz Celeron with 512MB and the person loves it as a home server running *nix!

As to the 470 and AMD combo, the boards are somewhat more expensive and harder to find. You don't need 4 gigs of RAM in there either for a server.

Did I get this right mcmsc?

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I agree that a PC used primarily as a server has minimal CPU and memory needs. The question is, will it be used strictly as a server or as a main PC that also acts as a server (such as a Windows 7 Homegroup)?

If you are going to be using the PC as a PC/Server combo, you should base the upgrade on what software or games will be run directly on it. If you plan on getting into Hi-Def video editing (like I am), the absolute minimum is a higher end dual core (preferably quad core) with at least 4GB of DDR3.

If you want a dedicated server, try converting your "old" PC into one using a basic video card and PSU; move the good stuff into your new build.

10. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I agree with Augie,look for combo deals there are lots that do mobo,CPU and ram bundles,definitely go AMD for that price.

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

12. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you have a MicroCenter store nearby, check their website (www.microcenter.com). They have a make your own combo special where you can choose from several AM3 boards free or at a huge discount with the purchase of selected AMD Dual and Quad Core CPUs - and their CPU pricing is usually about the same as NewEgg.

13. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Thanks for all of the replies!

I have a question before I start making some decisions. I can "upgrade" a motherboard that has USB 2.0 by adding a USB 3.0 "hub" PCI card later... right? If so, then I'm not worried at all about USB 3.0.

As I said in the original post, budget is the keyword... Auggie, you're completely correct. The ONLY caveat is that this computer will be my "main" computer until probably February, and I MAY end up letting kids use it. Either way, I want 4GB of RAM in it, and as to the 470... I don't need/want SLI for this budget system, just an ability to use the 470 with it.

Rikky, your first suggestion looks great... but can you recommend a heatsink, since apparently the CPU doesn't come with one?

14. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

One more question... is it possible to get a cheaper motherboard/CPU than the combo deals? Or are Newegg's mobo/CPU combo deals actually really good deals?

15. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  16. augiedoggie

You can't go wrong with ASUS and everything else fits nicely. Your old 500W PSU won't cut it or barely will and I wouldn't risk a new build just to save a couple of bucks. Get a quality 600W PSU, I like the Corsair CX600W(just bought one;)) and has a nice 40A +12V rail for that power hungry 470.

Ya know, even if this is a 'budget system', it's still a quality build. It'll be interesting to see what you spec out for your main build next year!:eek :-D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  17. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Looks good however I would go with DDR3 1066 ram just to be safe and be on the stable side because it doesn't officially support it and it says Overclock by it.

Should use that Corsair 1000W for this build. The 500 wont be enough.

18. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I saw the RAM specs of the mobo and know what you're saying pclover.

I read in the comments, however, that 1066 doesn't work with the mobo... that 1333 is the actual, non-OCed RAM to use. Doesn't seem to make much sense, but Newegg has on several accounts made mistakes in technical details.

I'll definitely be using my current PSU... now, I just have to muster up $300 (speaking of budgets, I'm on a pretty tight one right now).

If MSI will give me a refund for that GTX 465, I'll be set (since I spent close to $300 on it). I still haven't heard back from them, though. I'll have to try calling them again, and hope the phone doesn't ring like it's off the hook again.

19. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Well, for now, I ended up purchasing another AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ off of eBay, but for far less than I had found them earlier (found it for under $30). Even if it works, I still want to get this budget build.

I just don't have $300 at the moment! I really wish I did. I should soon, hopefully, though.

20. augiedoggie

Decent price. At least now I know what I can sell mine for plus an ASUS A8N-E mobo.;) It's just sitting in an empty and gutted case ATM.

(Please people, don't ask for my stuff in this thread.):)

21. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

The first eBay search only turned up $50+ results... however, I wasn't using very good search skills then. Is yours socket 939? If so, be sure to put that in the item title, as that's what curbed my search results the first time. Most people don't realize that they made that processor for socket 939 AND AM2.

22. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

here's a good motherboard for $90:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138198

a 3Ghz dual-core AMD CPU for $60:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103903

and 4Gb (two 2Gb) DDR3-1333 sticks for $60:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161279

My last 6 system builds in the last 18 months (3 for my own house, 3 for relatives) have all used Biostar motherboards and I have used them for most of my builds for over 10 years and have never had a problem with one.

I have used the 2.8Ghz model of that AMD Regor CPU in 4 of those 6 systems and they are great performing CPUs, low wattage, run cool even under load.

I have used Wintec memory and haven't had any issues. I also use GSkill, this is $5 more than the Wintec:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190.

For $310-$315 you'd have a nice system with plenty of future compatibility.

Sam

23. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

These are my 3 systems, built from 4/2009 to 5/2010.

Main PC- Biostar TA790GX-128M/AMD Phenom II X3-720BE@3.1Ghz/8 Gb DDR2 800/Sapphire Radeon HD5850 1Gb/WD 1Tb SATA2/LiteOn 22X SATA DVD burner/OCZ 600SXS PSU/HannsG 25" LCD/Dual Boot Win 7 Home Premium x64/XP pro sp3 x86

Living Room HTPC- Biostar MCP6P-M2+/ AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor@2.8Ghz/4Gb DDR2-800/Sapphire Radeon HD6850 1Gb PCIe/WD 640Gb SATA2 HDD/LiteOn 22X SATA DVDrw/Allied 500W PSU/Antec Fusion Remote case/Samsung PN42C450 42" plasma/ Windows 7 Ultimate x86

Wife's PC- Biostar P4M900-M4/Intel P4 2.8Ghz/4GB DDR2-533/BFG 9800GTX+ OC 1Gb/Maxtor 340Gb IDE HDD/LiteOn 16X IDE DVDRW/Acer 19" LCD/500w PSU/Win 7 Ultimate x86

The 3 systems I built for relatives all used the MCP6P-M2+ board, X2-240 Regor CPUs and 4Gb (2x2Gb) DDR2-800 GSkill memory. The memory I had on hand that's why I used that DDR2 board for all 3.

Sam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds