New Build Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bkperformance19, Dec 12, 2015.

1. bkperformance19

bkperformance19 Private E-2

Hi all,

It's time to build a new system and had a couple of questions. Everything will be based off of a i7 4790k processor as I already got it. I'm not a gamer but do a lot of video conversion.

MB I was looking at the Gigabyte Z97x gaming 5 It has an M2 connection on the board. Any suggestions I would like to use the M2 ssd as my primary drive.
    Is there a M2 ssd that can use the connection on the board? All the ones I see seem to go into a PCIe slot. Suggestions ?
    The memory I picked out but haven't bought as of yet would be the Corsair vengenance pro DDR 3 1866 This seemed to have the lowest latency and the highest speed that would run @1,5 volts Suggestions?

Haven't been on the board in a while and really haven't kept up with the latest and greatest even my questions are dated.

Thanks BK :)

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Newegg have ~70 currently, my choice would be from one of these 4 Samsungs.

Using an M2 would disable 2x SATA3 ports:
    1. 1 x M.2 PCIe connector
      (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA & PCIe SSD support)
    2. 1 x SATA Express connector
    3. 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
      (M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds