New build computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by devilishly.charmin, Oct 7, 2010.

1. devilishly.charmin

devilishly.charmin Private First Class

Hi, I was looking for some advice on building a new computer. My current one is still good enough for myself but I am looking to build up a new one. I will need everything from motherboard, processor, case, psu, RAM, 1TB Drive. I have myself a 22inch monitor and recently bought a ATI Radeon HD 5750, which should be sufficient for my needs.

This is the motherboard I have looked at but I am not 100% sure if it is good or not? ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Socket AM3

I would also like to go for this processor - AMD Phenom II X4 or X6 - I think either are socket AM3

I need some advice and guidance on case, psu, RAM, hard drive and feedback on the mobo and processor.

Thanks,

Luke

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I just went to a phenom x4 amd processor, it's really nice compared to the IBM unit with a single core non-hyperthreading, i think any pc being built now could very well have a quad core, no reason to settle for less with pricing as it is... also got a nice xfx video card to boot... can post more on the set up if you would like...

biggest part.. . what do you want the computer to be able to do? games? surfin? i mean, build the pc to 'do' what you intend for it too... do you want nicer running graphic intense? add a really good vid card... are you looking for other software intense programs? look to triple the minimum requirements, maybe four times the requirements....more is always more and better...

edit:

how well does the 'system' expand? i mean, you buy core parts now but can you 'upgrade' in the future? say... fsb? upgrading RAM to a larger type? Processor... can it jump up several levels from where you are? Raid? Do you want performance or fault tolerance to rebuild your system upon HDD failure?

3. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

What kind of budget you got? The ASUS P6T is an awesome new motherboard. My friend just built his new pc with that and the core i7 processor. I'm not sure if its compatible with anything less than an i7 though. Do you have a preferance over Intel or AMD?

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Good start, though I find the 1090T(X6) a bit pricey. I've gone through many ASUS mobo's and find them excellent. As to the rest, I agree with the above as it's all budget related except for the PSU. Get yourself a quality power supply, some 650W if you're sticking with your current video card, some good names are Antec, Corsair and be prepared to pay some $75 USD.

5. devilishly.charmin

Thanks for all the replies.

I honestly have no preference to what processor I get, as long as its fast :p All my previous processors have however been AMD, as it is just what I have known I guess.

I don't run high spec games but would like to have the ability to do so if I wanted to in the near future. I was looking at going for 6 - 8 gig of RAM too. My budget is reasonable but I am not wanting to go out and just blow it all on a ultimate gaming system when I probably won't see the benefit of putting such money into it.

If you could possibly give me some specs and links to the parts you are suggesting that would be a great help. However I am going to have to stick with the ATI Radeon HD 5750 I have already bought which by all means will suit me fine. I am however stumped on what I should buy next lol.

All ideas welcome, much feedback as possible can only be a good thing.

Thanks,

Luke

6. augiedoggie

OK, unless you're getting Windows 7 X64 then stick to 3GB of RAM as the rest will be wasted/unavailable, even then I think 6-8GB RAM is overkill unless you are an uber multi-tasker. I'll have to post the rest later. GTG

7. devilishly.charmin

Yes mate, I realise if I didn't goto Windows 7 x64 then it would be pointless in going to high with the RAM but I am. I do multi task a lot when at my computer so willing to spend on the 6-8gig of RAM. 8 obviously being the maximum I will go to at the minute. It would not be like getting 6 gig of RAM would disappoint me. Thank you for taking the time to post before you had to go, look forward to your later post, t/c

Thanks,

Luke

8. augiedoggie

As to a case, it's usually a personal preference as to look/functionality. All I can say is that I love the cases with screwless CD/DVD and HDD mounts along with screwless PCI card slots, which is a bonus. I also like a bottom mount PSU as it's heat hardly affects the inside case temps as the air comes in from the outside and gets blown back out. Another consideration is wire management so here's my fave at a median price of $160 CDN. Tons of ventilation in there.

Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Edition Mid Tower

You will get a myriad of suggestions on this and I think that they would agree with me on the necessities that I mentioned. Is it too costly for you?

9. augiedoggie

Kingston is decent quality and affordable RAM, just match the FSB of your CPU. As to PSU's, you could go from the minimum of a 430W to a max. of about 550/600W if you're going to go Cross fire eventually with an OC'd X6. I never buy the minimum recommended PSU as these things deteriorate over time and I never buy the cheapest available as you will be risking a good machine's parts to fail if the cheap PSU goes out.

My choices are the following:

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power

I've got a 500W Antec that has been running 24/7 at about %85 for 3 years and is finally showing its age. Plus this one is modular so you only have to install the cables that you need. Decent price.

10. devilishly.charmin

Hi, sorry for late reply. This is the current tower I own..... HERE

I have been happy with this town for the few years I have had it but want a change, the room in this tower is very limited now. I was hoping to get a new one and bigger psu, possibly 800W + .

What do you recommend in way of motherboards, the one I picked not good enough? Same for processors, AMD or Intel in your opinion? RAM I would of went for Kingston or corsair.

Thanks,

Luke

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds