New build, not sure if parts are compatible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bryan G, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Bryan G

Bryan G Private E-2

Can someone look at my build and tell me if the parts are compatible?

Here's what happened:
    After I put this system together it took me 6 tries to get Windows installed, it would stall at different points each try. Finally after I was able to get it installed I was able to browse the web and open stuff. When I went to reboot I could not get it to start. I would get a blue screen as soon as it came out of POST. The blue screen was so fast that I couldn't see the error.

After some tweaking in the BIOS I was able to get windows to load. It ran fine. I rebooted it several times and everything seemed OK. I went back to the BIOS to get rid of the Gigabyte logo on boot, that's all I did in the BIOS. When I tried to boot up it was back to the blues screens.

I went into the BIOS and did some tweaking again then it booted fine. Now I've been running the system for a couple days and I've rebooted several times and everything seems OK....

There are settings I'm not sure of and I wonder if my BIOS settings are what fixed the problem or is this a bad combo of parts.

The mother board takes an 8 pin power connector instead of 4 and I put a pci-express 16x when the board called for a pci-express 2.0 16x. I called Gigabyte and they said that the 4 pin connector was all that was needed for my CPU. Also they said that the board is backward compatible so I didn't need a pci express 2.0.

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

3. Bryan G

Bryan G Private E-2

Sorry, I should have mentioned what I did.

-I set the BOIS to optimal defaults and that gave me blue screens, I also tried the other default, failsafe I think and that didn't work. I think the settings that were screwing things up were the HDD, sata-raid-ide. He has sata and I think I had to set something to make sata controller to run as ide. I can't remember and I'm not going into the BIOS again because last time I did it screwed it all up again.

-I ran memtest 86 from boot twice and no errors

-I ran CPU Stability test 6.0 for about an hour and no crashes

-I tried a different (new) DVD burner to install and no difference but once I tweaked the BIOS I was able to install with no trouble

-I ran 2 different video card stability tests and no problems

the system is running fine right now. I believe my trouble was the BIOS settings but I need to be sure. I need to know if the parts I put together are compatible so this trouble don't happen again later.

4. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

If the system works at all they are compatable, to an extent.

I can only hazzrd a guess that the PSU is rather weak, are there any funky smells just before it blue screen's?

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

5. Bryan G

Bryan G Private E-2

never noticed a smell.

It's been 3 days since I tweaked the BIOS and I haven't seen a blue screen. I've been doing as much as I can to test this. I've re-booted several times. I think it's stable but I just don't want to hand it over to the guy I built it for and have it screw up. He paid for the parts on my recommendation then I built it for him so I am responsible. I've got a limited amount of time to return the mobo or PSU to Newegg.

6. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

There are a number of stability tests you can run on all the parts, GPU, CPU. I use them to test overclocking but I don't know what to suggest in this case. Maybe Video Memory stress test, it's a good one : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5896.html

Hrm, CPU burn in is a good one but beware it really heats up your cpu: http://www.majorgeeks.com/CPU_Burn-in_d3921.html

They should give your primary hardware a good workout, it something is wrong these are bound to identify which hardware is the issue.

7. Bryan G

Bryan G Private E-2

I will run those apps as soon as the system is up again, no PSU, I just returned it. Newegg was nice about it, no restocking fee and a free return shipping label.

I chose this one: Thermaltake Purepower RX W0143RU 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    This should be plenty of power.

Thank you for your help.

8. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

Power is not the issue if it is the PSU, the 12V rails could be the problem.

But luckily you have chosen a good brand there and the Rails look good :)

Well keep us posted, once you have run all those tests.

9. Bryan G

Bryan G Private E-2

I didn't mean power as in watts (P=VxI P=watts), I meant power as in powerful the opposite of weak.

10. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

That PSU should be fine.

It has 3 12V rails & 75% efficiency, it looks very good :)

11. Bryan G

Bryan G Private E-2

Thanx for the advice, I've been building systems for years and it just keep getting harder to keep up with the changes. :confused

It sure was easier back when memory was pc100 ;)

12. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

I know, I hear alot of people having trouble with all the new GPU's not because they don't work but because they are too long, my 4870 1GB is nearly a foot long :-D

Either that or they melt these people's PSU's LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds