New Build Powers For A Couple of Seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, Mar 10, 2014.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Howdy:wave .... I'm upgrading a computer and after putting it all together I can't get the power to stay on. I hit the power button and the fans spin for a few seconds and that's it. I checked all my connections and they seem ok ... I have a cooler master 500w P/S I know works because I just pulled it from the machine I'm upgrading from.

This is the mobo.

This is the CPU. I checked my hookup to the case and it looks ok.

The cpu is plug into the mobo. An in goes into the LGA socket only fits one way you can't put it in wrong. I installed the memory 2 2GB DDR 3 memory sticks. A PCI sound blaster card, and a pci-e IDE adapter. I have a PNY GForce 210 in the pci-e video slot. Not sure what is going on:( .... ah .... HELP!
    rolleyes

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

On first glance, I'd suspect a bad or overpowered PSU.

Make sure your motherboard isn't shorting out due to direct contact to the metal case where it shouldn't. Make sure the rest of your components are seated correctly. When it turns on, do the video card fans spin at all?

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Problem Solved! :)

Well sir ... I took every thing apart including removing the mobo from the case. I removed all the drives and what not. Then I checked the cpu had a little too much grease so I clean it off. The pins are flat on the cpu so nothing was bent. I started it with just the cpu hooked up and it worked longer than before, then turned off. I put in a memory stick in the first slot and it worked. I added each part and checked to see if it worked each time and it did. I don't know exactly what was wrong but it works now. Thanks for reading my post.:wave

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Good to hear. It was probably a not-quite-seated part. I recently repaired a laptop with the same problem.

It was loose RAM in that case.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds