New Build Won't Boot to the Windows Loading Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Denise_M, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

I'm building a new pc. I'm at the point where I'm reading to install Windows (XP Pro x64). It posted with no problems. I changed the boot sequence so that the DVD drive would be first, the floppy drive second, and the hdd third.

When I put the Windows disk in the DVD drive and boot up, I get a message that says, "Book Disk Failure, insert system disk and press enter." I tested the DVD drive in another pc and it works fine and the hdd spins up.

I disconnected the hdd and tried to install Windows again but it still didn't get to the Windows loading screen. I took everything apart and reseated the cpu, video card and a SATA controller card, double-checked the connections against the mobo schematic and I know that they're all correct.

I have a

- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Rev 1 motherboard
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield cpu (8-pin cpu power cord connected to the ATX 12V 2X port, fan connected to cpu fan port)
    - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 psu
    - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory
    - ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 Video Card (connected to the PCIEX16 port)
    - HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 PCI Express x8 Controller Card (conected to the PCIEX4_2 port)

The controller card is installed but I haven't connected any drives to it. Only 1 hdd is installed, connected to the SATA2_0 connector port on the mobo.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem could be . . . why I can't get to the Windows loading screen?

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well it sounds like you havn't actually installed windows yet.
    If you are booting from disc it should say "Press any key to boot from disc" you hit a key and away you go.

Or did I read that wrong?

3. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I'm trying to install Windows but before it gets to the Windows loading screen, I receive the Disk Book Error message, insert correct disk and press Enter, even though the Windows disk is in the DVD drive.

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok if you're trying to install wnidows then there is no loading screen for it to get to because you havn't installed windows yet.

New HDD? If so then nothing is on it, it's nothing more than a chunk of metal.

You need to boot from disc and follow the prompts to install windows.

Put disc in
    Start pc
    After a few seconds you should get a little message either at the top or bottom of the screen that reads....

"Boot from disc.....press any key..."

It will only be there for about 5-10 seconds so you may have missed it.

5. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I don't get a "Boot from disc.....press any key..." request. It starts by "Scanning Devices," then "Verifying Pool Data," and then the "Disk Boot Failure" message.

6. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

can you see the DVD drive in the bios set-up?

7. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I don't know what you mean by seeing the drive in BIOS setup, but the DVD drive is first in the boot sequence order.

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Can you see if the DVD access light comes on when you are trying to boot? IS the DVD drive set up as master?

9. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I was thinking the same thing. If the motherboard BIOs is set to boot from your DVD drive but can't, then the problem is either with your disk or with your drive. You said you took everything apart and reseated as well as checked connections against the schematic, so you should be good. Did you check the actual cable itself though? It might be fully connected, but if the cable is dead, that doesn't help much...

Try to resist the urge to smash the new build with something large and heavy ;)

10. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

The cable was new and it was the only thing that I didn't think would be causing the problem. I tried another new cable and it's installing Windows as we speak!**:celebrate

Thanks so much . . . everybody!**:grouphug

11. Mimsy

Wohoo!! :highfive

12. nunchuck

nunchuck Private E-2

nice! kinda sucks you took everything apart when it was just the cord lol

13. Mimsy

Actually, if she hadn't taken everything apart and put it back together again, we wouldn't have realized it was just the cable. Basic troubleshooting: Test everything, just so you can rule it out. ;)

14. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

It was just a cable? lol omg why is it we never think of the simple things?

Glad you got it sorted.

15. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Yup . . . I'm glad the problem was found. I never would've thought that a brand new cable would be bad and I never would've thought to try another cable. I was thinking a static charge on my mobo even though I used an anti-static mat and wristband. It was the only other thing that I could think of and I was ready to take it all apart again and put the mobo on a piece of cardboard overnight.

Mimzy, that was great troubleshooting. Many thanks! You saved me a lot of time and work and a lot of head banging. After I changed the cable and all the leds came on, I was one happy person! :cloud9

16. Mimsy

Always happy to help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds