new case, same hardware, power but will not POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jibble, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jibble

jibble Private E-2

hmmm...where to start with this one...

Yesterday i got a new case from Antec. I figured, "I'll swap everything from the old to new. Quick N' simple." Quite the opposite has happened. I did that, PSU cords were too short so i got a new power supply(needed one anyway). Plug it in, fire it up, WORKS! but goes to black screen saying check boot device or something. I've seen that many times before with this system, no biggie, I forgot to plug in my floppy(yes floppy). Plug it in, turn it on, WORKS! goes all the way to windows. I see a fan isn't spinning, so i shut down, plug it in and turn back on...NOTHING...NO BEEPS, NO POST, MONITOR IN SLEEP MODE, HOWEVER, THERE IS POWER TO EVERYTHING. All fans turn on, heatsink fan on, green light on the board, video card fan turns on, HDD spins, floppy makes it's unique noise, but it doesn't "fire up".

At this point i'm thinking WTF...Everything turns on but it doesn't beep at me or post and start up, . Put everything back in the original case thinking it could be shorting or something (read somewhere). Same thing. Swapped all RAM into every possible combo, including one stick, same thing. Tried different HDD, same thing. Pulled the cmos battery, reset bios, same thing. Re-seated vid card, same thing.

I am now lead to believe that the only thing left is the board itself. I have a tough time believing that it just "went bad" ironically the third time i booted it in the new case. I have a hard time believing the same thing about my RAM. I know it's not my PSU because i have the old working one and a new one. I don't think it's my video card, same reason, ironically going bad at just the perfect time??? Unless somewhere in the switch i bumped something, but i highly doubt it.

Another possibility, but again, i have a hard time believing it... I've read good and bad reviews on Thermaltake Toughpower 600W psu's that they can burn stuff up, but i don't think thats the case here as everything stills "turns on" but doesn't get to post and fire up.

What have i missed? Anyone have ANY ideas on this?

-------SPECS (DON'T LAUGH....ok, laugh a little)---------

Intel D865PERL mobo
    P4 3.0 HT processor
    PNY GeForce 7600GS AGP vid card
    Enermax 400W PSU (old)
    Thermaltake Toughpower 600W PSU (new one)
    1.5gig Corsair RAM
    250gig WD HDD

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Have your tried building the PC outside of a case? Assemble it on a non-conductive surface (the box the mobo came in works great; just be sure there's no metallic paint or stickers on it). Hook it all up just like it was in a case and attach the power supply last. If no post, no boot, start removing components one or two at a time until you do get it to post....

Good luck!

3. jibble

jibble Private E-2

just tried it. Same thing. no post, no beeps, no monitor, but everything turns on.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

There are insulated spacers that must be installed between the Motherboard and the case.
    If you didn't install them correctly you may have shorted out something on the Motherboard. :cry

5. ttobebo

ttobebo Private E-2

have you tried the bios settings, check if the onboard video adapter is off... as I've read your concern you have a video card... and also one way to test your motherboard is to take everything off including the mem and plug it in. you should be hearing long beeps if none (mobo replacement and psu is needed).

6. jibble

jibble Private E-2

it was the board...

got me a new 780i setup as a replacement :-D

7. jibble

jibble Private E-2

i noticed that my new board doesn't have those, should i use my old ones for the 780i between the board and chassis?

8. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Yes, I would.
    They usually are placed between the motherboard and the case everywhere there is a screw to hold the motherboard in place.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds