New components/old case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FED UP, Jun 7, 2011.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I have recently swapped parts out of an acer Aspire AST-180-UA381B - I put a 500watt PSU, and a powercolor 4870 . I am concerned, because the old 250watt PSU's fan blew out the back of the case, whereas this configuration of the 500watt fan is such that it will be blowing INSIDE the case . The fan on the 4870 is directed out the back.
    My question is : what program(s) are best to monitor component temps ? The CPU is a simple single-core Athlon 3800 .
    Thanks !
    I'll check back in after band practice, and my stop at Fry's for a molex-6pin PCI-E adapter so I can start using said computer .

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

YIKES temps are WAY too high. above 60c, according to SPECCY . I need a cheap cooling solution.
    Suggestions ?

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's not really too high of a temp as long as it's in the lower 60's. I doubt your PSU is blowing air in, 120mm fan and a grill on the outside? If that's the case then it's pulling hot inside air out. Check with a match. Run OCCT if you want to do a stress test. Can I assume that's at idle? If so, then it's too hot.http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Maximum-CPU-Temperature/143/9 Did you remount the CPU fan? What are the temps with the side open?

4. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

It absolutely IS blowing air inside the case. I "frankensteined" this computer using spare parts, and in an effort to not spend money (except on 1 molex to pci power adapter) I used a PSU that has a different configuration than the one that came with the computer.
    Have a look at the case (take you pick of angles from google) http://www.google.com/search?q=Aspi...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=931
    I used an old 500 watt powertake that I used to use in another computer .
    i think those temps are too hot, they were in mid 60-s range with ZERO load on the GPU . I think I can safely assume that under load, this rig might fry .
    there are ZERO fans blowing out externally.
    Wat do ?
    It does have a spot on the rear of the case to mount a fan, not sure what size-how to I measure to be certain I get the right size - assuming that is the correct solution ?

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

As Augie said those temps are not high.
    My CPU if running at 100% on folding and it is a constant 70c so no need to panic but this thing with the PSU blowing into the case is very strange :confused are you sure it is positioned right?

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I mounted it the same way the other one was. I will open the case and see if it is possible to mount it in a position that will allow the fan to exhaust out the back .
    My main machine never goes above 50, even under load. That is with a quadcore, and an HD 6970, but its in a gaming case with multiple fans .
    The case in question is low end Acer crap .
    I'll check it out and see if i can mount it vertically .
    Thanks for the help, I'll let y'all know what I can figure out .

7. augiedoggie

That looks like a 120mm fan out back(4.8") below the PSU. Can you add a hole in the side for another fan blowing in?

8. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, heres the situation: that is indeed a place for a fan on the back, but no fan is or ever was in that spot. I can (in a week or two) get a fan and mount it there. The PSU will still be blowing hot air inside the case . I wonder if mounting a fan in that spot would be enough to drop my temps or if im going to have to buy a PSU that blows out the back, as the old, underpowered PSU did.

9. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

And what about pros and cons of simply leaving the side panel off (temporarily) ?

10. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

11. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

As you can see, the PSU fan is blowing into the case, and there is a place where a fan can be mounted on the back . I know the cables are a mess right now but i'm not finished working on it.

12. augiedoggie

Can you cut a hole in the top of the case and flip the PSU, that would really help. Take the mobo out first if you're going to make holes, one doesn't want shards of metal shorting traces out, vacuum and wipe the inside before remounting the mobo etc.

Sure, keep the side off and if you have a household fan then you can aim it there, unless you have shedding animals. Keep it off the floor.

Yup, flip the sucker if you can as I said before. You obviously don't want to spend much money on this so getting a new PSU is not the way to go.

13. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

working.

14. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, I was able to actually remove the top panel of the case, so this is what i have now :
    http://www.picrandom.com/images/photo0101.jpg
    again, sorry about the photo quality. I can easily flip the PSU, but I dont know how Im gonna cut the back portion of the top panel .

15. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

The mounting screw pattern is asymmetrical, thus I am NOT able to mount the PSU in any other way than it is.

16. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, I put the top back on. One thing for sure, i can run it with no side panels and not have to worry about ventilation !
    I actually DO need this computer for eventual work purposes, my fiance of 5 years is preparing to move to my city, and her work is all done on computer. I dont want this machine jerry rigged and cut with tin snips to accommodate an upside-down PSU.
    I realize the CPU is outdated, but she does accounting work, and this rig will suit her purposes just fine if I can get it fixed up properly. I think I will, in fact, start pricing a proper PSU for the unit.

17. augiedoggie

Fair enough, a new PSU will prolly be in the 30 to 40 range, don't forget the fan either. Then it should look nice for the lady and work too.;):-D Since it's a work computer, back up, back up and back up. I can't stress that enough!

18. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Yeah I think that's the way I'm gonna need to go with this.
    A hearty thanks to everyone that contributed to my little mission.
    I'll likely update when things move along since the cooling and modding section is a bit thin .
    Same bat time, Same bat station !

19. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Which way does the fan on the PSU spin? that looks to me like it spins anticlockwise which means it actually sucks air out.

20. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

No it blows air outward. The opposite side of the PSU casing is solid . The only vent is for the fan , the one you see in the pic.

21. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I guess what I'll do is, within my next paycheck or two, is : #1: get and install a fan on the back panel, where there is an area to mount one (120mm ?) and #2: get and install a PSU configured properly for this case . I think those two things will get me where i want to be, and maybe bump it up from 2 to 4 gigs. I should then have about as good a single core system as I could expect, starting from where I am.

22. augiedoggie

I'm not sure the extra memory is needed unless she's doing humungous spreadsheets etc. which would mean a need for a dual core anyways. Upgrading is such a slippery slope when done on a small budget. As to your first two points, you would be really getting a bang for your buck!:major Try the fan first and then replace the PSU if needed.

23. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Actually yes, she does oil & gas company accounting . She just got her phone call yesterday, she got her first temporary assignment here in my city, starting at $50 an hour. She will then seek a permanent position, but making that kind of money, I don't think it would be too long before we could get a new computer . Sheesh, she will be making in two days what it takes me all week to earn !!

24. augiedoggie

Wow, then don't skimp on the machine man. That's her bread and butter! Yours too eh?;) Remember, a back-up power supply(UPS) and an external drive plus plenty of CD's will go a long way to saving important data and input time.:)

25. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Thanks. I'll start a new thread when I begin working on the machine .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds