New computer beeping at me

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AndrewD, Apr 15, 2004.

1. AndrewD

AndrewD Private E-2

Hi all. I have build my last 2 computers and am working on a new one. It's a P4 2.8. I used arcticsilver on the surface of the cpu that is in contact with the heat sink. All the fans are running fine (CPU, chipset, 3 case fans, video card and 2 in the power supply). I am using a 400W power supply.

Well as I am starting the process of installing XP, the system starts beeping at me. I assume that it is overheating. I checked the bios and it says the system temp is 110F, the cpu is 140F and the next temp is 168F (pwn i think it was). The cpu warning temp is set at 185F by default.

I honestly didn't change any of the defaults in the bios. I am not an expert and I left everything to default. It looks like it was getting all the system info correct.

So, do you think it is overheating? Is there anything you can suggest that I might have missed? Did I not use enough of the arcticsilver?

I am using an Abit IS7 E board. There was one line in the instructions that I didn't understand. It was after I installed the cpu it said 'Do not forget to set the correct bus frequency and multiple for your processor'. I assume that is in the bios and like I said I let that all default. Could that be my problem? Any help with fixing it if it is?

I am not a computer expert, but not a novice either. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

2. longinus

longinus Private E-2

What type of heatsink do you have? It might be that you got a smaller heatsink than your processor is rated for. My computer's processor runs around 100 F, but its an AMD 1ghz processor so it might be a little cool. If you pull the heatsink off, you should check to make sure that you've got a decent coating of the Artic silver on there.

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

beeping means somthing isnt set correctly; might be the ram isnt sitting correctly; anyways 140F is pretty high for somthing thats idle'ing try buying a serious heatsink/fan combo for it; also be sure your PSU is sufficient; other then that my brains burned out :)

The correct bus frequency think it talks about is ussaly a jumper [switch] thats either at AUTO or Off , Off being it will only allow the FSB be 100mhz; auto means that if the mobo supports fsb 333/400 etc and the cpu has a 333/400fsb it will run at the correct speed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds