New computer errors Help wanted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dustmite72, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Dustmite72

Dustmite72 Private E-2

I'd like to preface this with the facts that I've built computers before, and they have worked fine...

That being said, I'm helping my friend build/upgrade his computer. We started with the bare minimums for upgrading, then, after further reading, have gone back to the computer supply store three times to get parts (Yeah, reading would have prevented that in the first place, but, hey, not my money :) ) First, the Specs:

AMD 3800+ X2 processor
    some random, generic mobo (too lazy to go find the box)
    1 GB of DDR2 800 MgHz RAM (PC6400 or something like that)
    500 W offbrand Best Buy bought psu
    old video card, (Nvidia, PCI based, 128 mb)
    Old 40 gig Seagate hard drive (IDE)
    Sony DVD burner

After we had it put together the first time, which was a pain in itself, as the mobo was missing some key supports... such as firewire... but we had everything plugged in and ready to go. When it turned on, the HDD and CPU powered up, all the fans powered up, but no signal went to the monitor. Also, the mobo never gave any error beeps. So, I tinkered with the front panel connections (Pwr switch, Reset Button, etc) because they were poorly labeled on the mobo, and poorly constructed on the case (we lucked out there, let me tell you). After I was done with that, I hit the power button, and it turned on!!! Went about installing Windows (XP Service Pack 2), some anti-virus, his firewall, and the drivers for the mobo. Installed WC3 as well, as we were going to meet some friends online. At that point, we shut it down, and moved it into my computer room (was working in the living room).

When we went to turn it back on, the same problem happened again, CPU and HDD power on, but no signal to the monitor, and no error beeps. We've tried messing with all of the cables in the computer, and even tested the video card (Used the one that is currently powering up this computer) still to no avail. What could be causing this problem. We're out of time on the RMA for the mobo and processor, still have time on the RAM, case, and PSU. Any ideas?

A frustrated computer builder-
    Josh

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Try reseating the video card, and check that all the pins on the video cable are straight. Check the video cable is secure at both ends.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

PCI graphics cards should normally be placed in the slot nearest to the processor. Sometimes you can get problems in one slot which magically go away if you move the board to another.

check also in BIOS that graphics options you are not using (AGP, Xfire etc) are turned off and tha the PCI priorities are correctly set for the slot you are using.

Studio T

4. Dustmite72

Dustmite72 Private E-2

Will tinker with the setting of the video card again when I get off work, but we've basically re-seated it 10 times over the course of the night. We have been using the first PCI slot as well. And, I can't get into the BIOS since I have no display on my monitor at all... Any more ideas?

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Ok so if it is not the video card then when you built the pc you didn't quite plug something in fully either memory or processor. Take them out and reseat carefully. Run with only one memory stick to start with in case one is faulty. You will just have to go through everything until you find the faulty component.
    You say the processor is running How do you know? It may be sound but not plugged in properly.

Studio T

6. Dustmite72

Dustmite72 Private E-2

Well, got the computer working. Went to the mobo's website (Subsequently, not a fan of BioStar) and found an FAQ describing my problem. After much trial and error, it ended up being the IDE ribbon connection the DVD drive to the mobo. It works, all is well. Thanks for the ideas.

Josh

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Another satisfied geek. Thanks for letting us know the final outcome

Studio T logging off

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds