New Computer Freezing Under Stress

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WebCre8er99, Oct 11, 2006.

1. WebCre8er99

WebCre8er99 Private E-2

Just purchased 2 weeks ago.

HP
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core
    2g RAM

I purchased the ATI X1900GT Video Card and the Linksys Wireless-N Adapter (yes I have the Wireless-N network). Installation wasn't too tough and things run fine normally.
    My problem is when I do something that requires a lot of memory or power such as gaming or running multiple programs (I do often as a web designer) it freezes up but not immediately. Everything on the screen will stop moving but the mouse is still free to move around. I can't click anything but after a couple minutes the mouse freezes up also.
    I'm not sure if it's something I did or something wrong with the computer.

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I'm assuming you have already checked for malware and viruses, done a defragmentation, etc.

In that case, I have no idea. It seems that manufactured computers have a tendency to have problems-- my dad's new Dell laptop had problems with the initial software that was pre-loaded on the computer not coming off and it was actually spyware. He ended up buying a program to remove the spyware because Ad-Aware and Spybot wouldn't catch it.

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

an x1900 is a pretty power-hungry card so unless you upgraded your PSU then im thinkin its underpowered.

ill repost with a suggestion to fix it when ive got more time but i gotta go to work :(

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

5. WebCre8er99

WebCre8er99 Private E-2

thanks a lot. I'll go and get a better PSU tomorrow and see if that helps.

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

i dunno if a new PSU will fit in your HP case tho since they are usually small. If you can, compare the dimensions of your PSU to those of one at the store or wherever u can find one

7. WebCre8er99

WebCre8er99 Private E-2

I'm still having the same problem. I put in a 650w PSU and it's still happening. Now I'm really at a loss of what to do. Any help would be great

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds