New Computer Not Detecting Old Keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MandyH, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MandyH

MandyH Private E-2

I just got a brand new out of the box computer today at work. The computer is an HP (don't have the model number, but it's probably one of the $400 jobs at Walmart) operating on Windows 7. My old keyboard, the one I NEED to use, is an older ergonomic keyboard. By older I mean it's at least 8-10 years old. It has the round plug at the end of the cord, but I have an adapter with the USB plug that I can use. The adapter came with a brand new keyboard I purchased for my house about 2 months ago.

To summarize the events of today... My PC got set up this morning, but I didn't know until it was to late that the ergo keyboard had the wrong plug so I had to use the cheap keyboard that came with the PC until I got back from lunch with the adapter. When I got back to work I shut the PC down and plugged the ergo keyboard in, but the computer did not recognize it. It didn't even show it listed in the keyboard area of the Control Panel. I shut the PC down, switched USB ports, and tried again. Nothing! The lights on the keyboard won't even turn on. It appears that there's no communication at all!

The place where I work HATES spending money on supplies. The computer I just got switched over from was operating on Windows 2000 if that gives you any clue so they don't want to buy me an ergo keyboard. I'll most likely have to shell out the cash myself if I want one unless I can get this old one to work.

Any ideas on what's happening? Is there a way to get it to work? Is the keyboard just to old for this new computer? Are there any drivers I can download to get it to work?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds