New computer, Sata HD and Optical Bios won't recognize...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mfarre03, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mfarre03

mfarre03 Private E-2

I finally got my computer to post, I kept getting one long beep that went into 2 short...went through a bunch of bs, bought another vid card, finally bought an Antec Earthwatt 500w for testing purposes and it finally posts. I have a Sata HD and Sata DVD burner. I also have a 3.5 floppy. I cannot figure out how to get my HD to be recognized by my bios. The hd does not spin up and the optical will not open. Everything is plugged in, the HD is in Sata0 and the Optical is in Sata1, Sata2 and 3 are open. Please help!!!

Here is what I bought.

Sata DVD Burner

Sata HD

Mobo
    CPU
    Video Card
    RAM
    HD
    CPU Cooler
    Silver Compound

Case and PSU

Thanks in advance.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It sounds to me like the SATA drives are not getting power. If they were getting power, you'd be able to open the DVD drive tray, and the HD would spin up. Either they aren't plugged into the power supply correctly, or the connections to the power supply are loose, or something is wrong with the power supply. A hard drive should spin up when power is applied to it, regardless of whether the data cable connects it the motherboard. This is true for all hard drives, SATA and IDE/ATA. And all optical drives should open and close when they are correctly hooked up to the power supply, again, the data cable has no influence over the opening and closing of the CD drawer. I seriously doubt that both the optical and hard drive are faulty.

3. mfarre03

mfarre03 Private E-2

So that would mean I have another faulty power supply?

4. mfarre03

mfarre03 Private E-2

?????

5. mfarre03

mfarre03 Private E-2

Wow, thanks for all the help...later

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds