New computer will not turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Labtec600, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Labtec600

Labtec600 Private E-2

I see there have been a couple posts like this, but thought I would personalize it.

To start, on my old comp I had problems with it turning back on when I turned it off. It would just come back on by itself.

Then one day it suddenly shut down, and would not turn on. When I tried to turn it on, it made a litle noise (would later discover it was the noise of fans turning on for a split second) but nothing else.

I figured it was old and I wanted to update anyway so I didnt care.

I went and bought a new motherboard, graphics card, processor, new RAM and a new power supply.

They were:

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK ATX 520W Power Supply 115/230 V CB IEC 950/ TUV EN 60950/ UL 1950/ CSA 950

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

GeForce 8800 GTX

And Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I installed everything into my old case.

When I turned it on the processor fan spun, fan on the power supply spun, and fan on the side cover spun for a second, then shut off.

I switched outlets and when I turned it on again, suddenly the processor fan and power supply fan both turned on and stayed on. However, the processor made a high pitched continuous noise.

I turned it off. I noticed the fan was a little loose from the motherboard so I tightened it and turned it on again. Again it turned on, but made the high pitch noise.

I turned it off and unplugged it. The fan was still a litle loose so again I tightened it and finally got it so it wouldnt budge.

I plugged the comp in again, turned it on and the fans again spun for a second, and turned off.

I dont know what the deal is.

Any ideas? I unplugged the hard drive, and CD-ROM, but still couldnt get it to turn on for more than 2 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Even tho' 520w PSU should be enough, it may not have the needed amps on the 12v rail(s) to fire up the mobo.... hopefully that's all it is. My other thought is that maybe the heat sink on the CPU wasn't seated correctly and the CPU may have been thermally damaged. I know it doesn't seem possible that a CPU can reach critical temps that fast, but a friend burned up on old Duron 800 by turning on the PC for about 3 seconds without a heatsink; "I was testing my RAM and just wanted to see if would POST and didn't think I needed the heat sink..." - famous last words :( Double check everything: the RAM, video card, CPU, all power connections and data cables. Be sure everything is seated firmly. Maybe take the mobo out of the case and see if it powers up "on the bench". Maybe something in the case is grounding it.

hd2k

3. Labtec600

Labtec600 Private E-2

I hope to god it it isnt the CPU burned up. Is there anyway visually to tell?

4. Labtec600

Labtec600 Private E-2

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm an idiot.

On the back of the power supply I confused the I and O in terms of on and off. What I thought was on was actually off.

Problem #1 solved.

Now hopefully everything loads alright.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds