New CPU upgrade problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trussman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

I have a custom build PC. Components are as followed:

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 Motherboard
    Kingston hyperX 2x2GB Memory
    XFX 9800GTX GPU
    AMD X6 1055T CPU
    Thermaltake 800w PSU
    Windows XP Pro

I'm upgrading the CPU from an AMD X2 6000+, 3.1GHZ to the AMD X6 1055T. This CPU is on the list at gigabytes website for this board. It did say I'd had to upgrade the BIOS from Version F4 to F5 or higher. I tried to do the F5 update, it loaded successfully but the post screen still showed the F4 and when I installed the new CPU the lights came on and fans turned but nothing else.
    So I used the @BIOS function that comes with the gigabyte installation disc. It found all details of my board and the only upgrade it found to the BIOS was version F8, so I installed it with out any problems and it even showed in the post screen. So I installed the new CPU, it fired up and during post as it got to the CPU it showed "AMD type Unknown". It then continue to load and when it got to the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" it just stayed there, So I figured it was trying to find the change and let it stay there running for about 20 minutes until I shut it down.
    I then took that CPU out and reinstalled the original AMD 6000+ and it fired right up and worked just as it should. I tried the 1055T CPU in another PC and it worked just fine.

I sure hope that someone has some ideas as to what I might be overlooking in this upgrade.
    Thank you for looking at this thread for me.

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Likely the bios version on the CD is old and isn't the update for 6 core amd.

I would download the bios update off the gigabyte website and then flash your bios using that. Note that flashing bios can be risky and can render your motherboard useless if you do it incorrectly but in a case like this you have no choice but to update it.

Good luck

3. Trussman

Ok. I played with it yesterday. Found that it reset my boot options starting with the floppy which I don't have one, so I reset the boot order. I got it to through Post screen.

Now as it start's windows it goes into the Safe mode screen with all the options, like Use Last Known Configuration, Start Windows Normally, etc. When this screen shows up I have no keyboard function at all, but the keyboard will work while posting, if I wanted to access the BIOS, boot order, etc.

I know that I'm overlooking some minor detail, BUT it has me stumped

4. Trussman

If gigabyte was correct, it seems that when I uograde from version F4 - version F8 that they had as the newest one on their site friday doesn't recognize the 6 core CPU. They now list a beta version F9e that is designed to recognize the 6 core CPU. So I've installed the new BIOS upgrade, but I need to get some more heatsink paste, before I can see if it's going to work or not.
    I'll keep you up-to-date

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds