New Dell pc with serial ata power supply only.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thesmokingun, Sep 9, 2005.

1. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

Ive searched to no avail for this, so this is my final resort. Someone i know just bought a new dell pc and it only has serial ata power connectors on the power supply. He wants to still use his other hard drive that takes the molex power connection. however , i have not seen anything like a serial ata - molex converter/connector, only the other way around...anyone have any thoughts??? many thanks.. Im starting to think that there is no way to do this...

2. trunksthebattler2000

trunksthebattler2000 Private First Class

You could buy a different power supply. Try www.newegg.com they have lots of them. Just make sure that you get one that takes up the same amount of space your current one does.

3. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Well hold on a second I belive most Dell powersupllies are proprietary, meaning a standard atx powersuplly will not fit. Better research this problem

4. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

5. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

The Best Bet would to post the model number on the dell forum and see if someone can give you an answer. I checked and found conflicting statements for different models.

Dell Community Forum - Dell Community Forum

6. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

unfortunately, i don't think he wants to tinker too much, cause he has a warranty and he doesn't want to mess that up. other than adding the other hd. I think he is gonna just get a usb enclosure for it and hook it up that way. Thanks for all the replies

8. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

ok, so i found out, that the power supply does have the 4pin molex connectors for the cd rom...but there is only one. im having my friend get a splitter. again thanks for the replies. i guess next time, ill have to check myself before i assume he did. lol

9. zepper

zepper Corporal

If the PSU is that way then maybe there is only one IDE channel so you'll have to put his HD on the same cable as the optical drive. I hope they put an 80-wire cable in there with two connectors or you may have to come up with one of those too.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds