New Gaming PC Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Space_Rocks, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Hey there fellow geeks.

Going to add my question to the many 100,000's of other questions like this out there on the internets: I'm looking to build a mid-end gaming PC on a fairly low budget. I'm looking at spending £400-£500 in total and my ultimate goal is playing Planetside 2 with 50+ fps with as high a graphics setting as possible. Diablo 3 too but i don't have the game yet but plan to in the future.

I'll also be buying my parts off eBay and/or Amazon based on price as I'm only a student haha. So, here's what I've found so far:

CPU: AMD FX 8320 Black Edition, 2*4MB L2, 8MB L3 Cache, 125W (8-Core x 3.5 GHz) ~£105
    Motherboard: (see below for my thoughts on this)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2*4GB (8GB) 2133MHz DDR3 (might get 2 of these, so 16GB) ~£85
    Storage: Western Digital 1TB SSHD with 16GB NAND SSD (HDD part is only 5400RPM, is this a problem?) ~£55
    PSU: Fractal Design 500W, 80 plus Bronze, Dual Rail ~£38
    Case: Fractal design Core 1000 ATX Midi Tower (too small? depends on motherboard) ~£30
    GPU: open to suggestions based on price and performance. was thinking nVidia GTX 780/970 but they are kind of expensive (~£200-£280), but you do get what you pay for in graphics cards so it might be worth it if it doesn't get slowed down by the rest of the hardware :)

Open to suggestions of change if it benefits me in performance or cost, of course. I've made PC's before but I hate having to budget it as it's always a hard decision to make compromises. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

As for the motherboard, I need one which supports the AM3+ CPU and also that supports 2133MHz RAM, or is the RAM speed not really an issue due to the graphics cards on board RAM (wanting 3-4GB GDDR5)? A question I've heard contradictory answers to.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. Looking forward to your replies on what you think :)

EDIT: Willing to pay up to £600-£650 in total if it's worth it in performance.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Thanks for the advice theefool :) Think I know what I'm going to do now, and I think I'll try and get the SSD you mentioned (the first one due to budgeting reasons) from a UK site. Probably the 256GB one as I seriously doubt I'll need more than that for hard drive space, there will only be games on this thing :p got a laptop for all my music, files and other stuff that has a 1TB HDD.
    Thanks again :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds