New Graphics card minor issue help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nedlamar, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok I may be a little premature in posting this because I have still yet to run quite a few tests, but I just wondered what opinions you guys may have.

Just got a Sapphire HD4890 vapor x 2gb

Rest of machine:

Asus board
    AMD 64 X2 6000 3.1
    2GB DDR2 667 kingston ram
    Coolermaster PCAR 600w
    Antec 900 case
    XP SP2 (simply cos I've been too lazy to update lol)

Hanns G 24 1080p HD

Of course my first test was Crysis, having played it through a few times with low-med settings I really was looking forward to seeing it in all it's glory, and I was running it pretty well with everything on high and 8x AA, 1400x990 res.
    Fraps gave me 25-30 FPS in busy battle sequences and 130fps while looking at the sky lol.
    I then though I should get the latest drivers. So I did, uninstalled ALL older software and installed latest.
    When I fired the game back up I had weird......pixelly blocks of dots, hard to describe, along the top of screen and in various other places depending on what I was looking at.
    So I figured the drivers caused this but first changed up some settings, dropped AA off and it was gone. Still changed drivers to Dec 09 and fired it up again, basically fixed but still had same issue when I scoped in with the sniper scope, this time I got the fuzzy pixely dots on the grey bar that tells you distance to target.

Thats as far as I got as I've had other things to do and the Wife is working on PC atm, so I thought I'd just come and see if anyone here had either had the same issues or some idea of why it's happening.

I'm pretty sure my CPU is bottlenecking my card since FPS doesn't change much between med-high settings.

My next course of action is to reinstall the drivers off the disc that came with the card and see what happens, but it's kind of a weird issue and one I've never seen before.

Any ideas?

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

I've circled the most obvious sections.

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

No one? Really?..... Don't tell me I've stumped the MG's lol

Anyway, I think I MAY have figured it out, I acidently hit the command console button and it was just a huge list of errors, memory leaks mainly (in game obviously)
    It's also now only playing at 4:3 and simply refuses to go widescreen.
    So I'm thinking the install has corrupted. It's odd though because before I updated the drivers it was fine and going back to old drivers now has the same result.
    But ran Fallout 3 last night , optimal settings maxed and ran at a steady 50FPS, clear as a bell.

Also my pic I posted is not working..... too big for thread? been removed?

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

It would seem I've fixed this problem, while trying to fix another problem I ended up hooking the cable to monitor differently.
    Before I had it from g-card-

HDMI- DVI - Female DVI - HDMI
    Cables supplied with card.
    I now have it from g-card.

DVI - HDMI.

And it seems to have solved my problem.

I feel like a complete moron lol, I have tried everything I could think of or find on google.
    It never occured to me to change the cables, mainly because it DID work at first, but thats odd for me, I usually go for the simplest fix first.

Oh well, seems ok now unless it decides to flop out again, if it does I will update this thread.

Edit: Oh and I see my pic is working now.........man I'm having some weird issues the last couple of days.

5. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Nope, problem has returned for no aparent reason.

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok guys, this problem is now fixed, I would have to say it was a DX9 - DX10 issue between XP/4890/ccc.
    This morning I installed Windows 7 and the issue is fixed along with several other issues I was having after installing the card.

See http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=209615 for other issues.

I can now run Crysis maxed out with 8XAA clean and clear at 25-40FPS.

You have no idea how happy I am lol

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Glad you got it working

Even without our help;)

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol yeah but it makes sense to post results eh, that way if anyone searches the same problem it may be of help. :)

9. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

A good site for video cards: http://forums.guru3d.com/ .

Sam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds