New Hard Drive for Gaming Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris avz, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Chris avz

Chris avz Private First Class

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.00GHz (1333FSB)
    XFX ATI HD 5870 1024 GDDR5
    Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 DHX PC2-6400C4DHX
    150GB Western Digital 10000RPM 16MB Cache Raptor X
    200GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache Hard Drive
    Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2
    Coolermaster Real Power 700w Modular

Hi all, I use the raptor drive as my OS and main games drive, with the 200gb as misc games and music etc. I have recently got a lot of games that consume a lot of space so may need to look for another hard drive, which i've been advised the 1TB caviar black is a good choice for games. Just for the people who maybe have better experience with this than i have, what setup would you use, what hard drive out of these:

150GB Raptor
    1TB cavair black
    200gb maxtor

Would you

a. Install the OS on?
    b. Use for installing/running games
    c. Use for other bits n bobs

any advice or help is much appreciated. Also if anybody recommends a better hard drive other than the 1TB caviar black feel free to suggest!

Thanks,

Chris

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Chris

I tend to use SSDs these days as they are super quick, but not cheap for large size drives, currently I have the following setup

256GB OCZ Vertex 4 for OS, Main software like Office and games.
    128GB OCZ Vertex 2 for temp downloads and backups
    1TB WD for downloads from MSDN etc
    2TB WD for music, video and documents etc

However if you have a lot of games as you mention SSDs are not the best option so the WD Black is a good option for a large drive, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/02/western-digital-2tb-caviar-black-review/6

3. Chris avz

Thanks David, yeah it seems the Caviar black is going to be the option, it's just what drives to use for the OS/games etc i need to decide on! I'm only looking for a cheapish upgrade to an alright working system, just the new batman, battlefield etc at nearly 30GB each game quickly removes you of free space!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Chris

Yeah with games becoming all the more graphically better they have large sizes of space needed, that is why I keep OS and app drive free from any downloads, documents, pictures, music, video etc to keep bare bones OS + apps only on the main drive.

5. Chris avz

Think I'm gonna get the 1TB caviar black and do the same, keep it all separate, thanks for the advice David!

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Coming in a bit late - you noted in your opening post that your priority is clearly about gaming performance. With that in mind, I recommend you reconsider SSDs. They are the way to go and far outshine and out perform the best hard drives. There are many 256Gb SATA III SSDs for under $200.

If stuck on hard drives, the 1Tb Caviar Black, with its 64Mb buffer is a really nice drive, but again, if gaming performance is the objective, I would at least get a hybrid drive, which uses SSD as the buffer instead of RAM.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds