New hard drive not being detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgtmac1, Dec 25, 2009.

1. sgtmac1

sgtmac1 Private E-2

I just got a new hard drive to replace my aging one. Upgraded to a Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 32mb/SATA-3G from my 80g one. My problem is when i installed this new drive and attempted to install my windows xp professional on it, it wont install. I get through the initial setup and the user agreement, then click to install. It goes to the page where it should show partitions, however it says in that box that "no disk in drive". From there it goes into "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down... blah blah blah."
    I know that my system is compatable to this hard drive because its the last thing ive upgraded on my system. I am currently running with the following system:

ASUS M4A78T-E motherboard
    AMD Phenom x3 processor
    3g of DDR3 ram

If you need more info, please let me know. Any help will be appreciated.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome to Major Geeks :),

Which Service Pack does your XP CD have? With a hard drive of that size, you must install XP from a CD with SP1 or greater.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused If you boot to your Windows XP disc, it is all keyboard commands for the first part, so the "click to install" doesn't make sense. So, here we go- if the new 1tb drive is completely blank and actually "new", the Windows XP will not recognize it without using the "F6 floppy" for the SATA drivers. The F6 floppy can be created by downloading the appropriate drivers from the PC/motherboard maker's web site. You can get around this by formatting the new drive first; hook it up to a secondary SATA port, boot to your current XP on the 80gb drive, then use the Disk Management Console to format the drive as NTFS. Power down, unplug the power cord, connect the 1tb to the first SATA port, disconnect the 80gb drive completely, then boot to your XP install disc. From there you should be OK. If you have an older install disc, it may not recognize the full 1tb size and you'll need to use a newer disc with at least SP2 on it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds