New hard drive, now no system restore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blockhead, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Blockhead

Blockhead Private E-2

Had a new hard drive installed successfully, then spent a few days making sure all old data was intact. Now I want to do a system restore as I am at a good "clean" point, but when I tried to do a system restore, that error box pops up that says, "has encountered an error and needs to close....send rerport?"

How can I get past that to create a fresh restore point?

Many thanks,
    Blockhead

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

its so difficult to help people without all the information!

which OS are you using? what details are showing in the error box, maybe post a screenshot

try looking in eventviewer for more detailed info
    run...type eventvwr.msc...ok

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Windows will create a restore point every 24 hours if your pc is left on, i have never heard of this problem. ed

4. Blockhead

Blockhead Private E-2

Oh, my head is hurtin'. Thanks for the "run" info. Here's what I found when the box opened. I clicked on Applications (see second post above):

I have Microsoft Windows XP, home edition, Version 5.1, Service Pack 2, IE version 7, and MS Office 2003.

About 1/2 hour ago I was typing an email and a box opened saying the Windows version was not the right version! I clicked the box closed and the email went through.

I'm not computer-wise (thus the screenname) , and I sure appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Thanks,
    Blockhead

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  5. Blockhead

Blockhead Private E-2

[​IMG]

Here's the message I got when I clicked on System Restore, it never opened System Restore...this is the first thing that came up.

Blockhead

6. Blockhead

Blockhead Private E-2

Here's part of what appeared when I did "runeventvwr.msc"

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds