New hardware, dead computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by override16, Mar 7, 2009.

1. override16

override16 Private E-2

Hi! :)
    I have started building my new computer now, but it doesn't boot. I have tried my PC analyzer card, and i get the following error code:
    A3: Soft error display complete. Going to set the keyboard type matric rate.
    I have no idea what this means, but my VGA monitor is connected, and a working keyboard is connected. I use the following hardware:
    Motherboard: MSI K9A2GM-FIH (new)
    RAM: 2x Crucial DDR2 PC4200 2048MB (new) and 2x identical used 1gig rams
    Video: Integrated
    HD: Samsung 500gig, used
    Old HP DVD rom
    New PSU

I have hooked off every buttons and so exept for the power button.
    The screen is blanc, and I have NO idea what to do.... :-o
    thnx in advance :cool

2. override16

override16 Private E-2

Btw, I use an AMD 4400 am2 processor, but this is an AM2+ mainboard. But doesn't am2 cpu work with am2+ mainboards?

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Lets start at the beggining.. When you start the machine is there lights on the motherboard and are all fans starting ?? is your activity light (usually red) on the front of computer on.. is it stable or does it reach a point when it starts to Blink. Check that your screen cable is well in its sockets and tight disconnedt and reconnect if it makes no difference try another cable.. Try that then post back. here is info on the bios error codes......

http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/bios_error_codes.html

4. override16

override16 Private E-2

The fans are starting, but I haven't connected te activity light. I have tried the screen on my laptop, and it works fine. I use the VGA port on the mainboard, and I don't have another video card connected. I get error code A3, and I found a list of AMI error codes on the analyzer card homepage. Code A3 wasn't listed there, so I have mailed AMI to find out what the error code means. It doesn't make any difference with or without RAM and drives. All cards, front panels and so are disconnected, so either the brand new mainboard is broken, or the used CPU is broken. I am going to get another CPU to try with, but any other suggestions are appreciated :)

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Could this possibly be as simple as it halting because it doesn't recognize the keyboard? Is keyboard ps2?

6. override16

override16 Private E-2

I was thinking about the same thing, but I have tried with a PS2 keboard (working) and wothout keyboard, and it is no difference.

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you got a Video card you could put in and see if any visuals come up ??

8. override16

override16 Private E-2

Only the one integrated in the motherboard. I don't get any output on it, and I don't have any pci-e cards rolleyes

9. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you connected the 4 pin extra power cable to mobo. yellow and black cable near your back panel connectors.

10. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Listen to Toke and AMI since I know little of POST.

Just want to give you a link of error codes. It looks like the various tests are done in order to complete POST and hand over control to BIOS. You are halting near the end with A3. There are however several keyboard checks/commands before A3. What this means I don't know.

http://www.uxd.com/ami3.html

12. override16

override16 Private E-2

The extra 4pin plug to the CPU is connected. But after looking around i found this:
    Prosessor
    Type / Produktformfaktor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Multi-Core-teknologi Dual-Core
    64-bits databehandling Ja
    Prosessorantall 1
    Klokkehastighet 2.2 GHz
    Kompatibel prosessorsokkel Socket 939
    Nivå 1 cache-størrelse 128 kB
    Kjernespenning 1.3 V/1.35 V
    Termospesifikasjon 71 °C
    Arkitektoniske trekk PowerNow! technology, HyperTransport-teknologi, AMD64-teknologi, integrert minnestyreenhet, Enhanced Virus Protection
    Cache-minne
    Installert Størrelse L2 Cache - 2 MB ( 2 x 1 MB )

I was told it was a 4400+ AM2 CPU, maybe replacing this would to the trick :confused
    And I don't know too much about the PSU, other than it is a 400W. A friend will bring a brand new phenom to try on friday. If it doesn't work I am returning the mobo and buy a new one with a new CPU.

13. override16

override16 Private E-2

Is my 4400+ a 125W CPU? And I looked on the website were it was bougt, and found this: https://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=343333&view=detailed#ProductTabs
    The guy i bought the 4400+ from said it fitted both AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. :mad
    I will get a phenom to try on friday.
    If not I will return the motherboard

14. override16

override16 Private E-2

The power is plugged in, but I think the old 939 processor doesn't work with my motherboard. It isn't more than 80W or so... New phenom processor ordered, and maybe it will solve my problem.
    Thnx for help everyone;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds