New hardware will not install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bustergut, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Bustergut

Bustergut Private E-2

The USB ports on my pc don't work (off motherboard). I also bought a 4 slot card, but that doesn't work either. I install it, it gets detected, but I get a message that says 'cannot install this hardware, there was a problem this hardware, access is denied'. I've deleted the drivers and tried to reinstall them and reinstalled the driver.cab file from the windows cd, but no luck. I think it might be registry related, but don't know much about this. Anybody got any pointers ?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Which OS are you using?
    Do you have admin privledges on this machine?
    Can you try it in another machine?

3. Bustergut

Bustergut Private E-2

XP Home with full admin privileges

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

5. Bustergut

Bustergut Private E-2

No, they never worked. I had to get a replacement second hand motherboard for my pc. A shop installed it, but I never checked the USB. I can still take it back, but it's hassle and I hope there is a simple fix

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

have you had a look in device manager to see what the error sysmbols and codes are next to your devices? :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds