New Hardware Wizard

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nick T, May 2, 2014.

1. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey, every time I turn on my computer, the New Hardware Wizard comes on. This started about 2 days ago, and I have no idea why. Any thoughts ??

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

What's the make and model of the computer and what version of Windows are you running?

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey mdonah, it's a Dell Dimension running XP sp3 fully patched, ( to poor to upgrade yet), but nothing has changed on it and Windows was just installed about 2 months ago and I've only been using it to check e-mail and come here to MajorGeeks.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

See if any of the icons in Device Manager are indicating a problem. If any are try updating the driver.

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Earthling, under Other Devices there are 2 ? named unknown device.

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Right clicked on one them and check the properties details and one says Root Legacy SASKUTIL 0000, which I know is associated with Superantispyware but that was uninstalled about 5-6 weeks ago and this problem just started a couple days ago.

7. Earthling

As you only reinstalled XP fairly recently it could be missing mobo drivers. If you have the mobo drivers disc then run it, but if not see if you can find what isn't working - such as sound or USB or possibly one of your network adapters. Also, if you have anything plugged in then try removing it to see if the errors disappear.

EDIT - We cross-posted there so I'll see if I can find anything about the SAS error.

8. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey Earthling, I went to the first yellow ? and went back to Properties, Driver and tried to reinstall and was told there was no software, so I clicked Rollback Driver and nothing happened so I clicked Uninstall Driver, it gave me the warning but I uninstalled anyway, the warning box clicked off, then I went to the second yellow ? and did the samething except at Uninstall Driver there was no warning it just vanished I turned off the computer then turned it back on and the New Hardware Wizard never came on, so far.I'll let you know if anything changes. Thanks for help.

9. Earthling

Good news NickT. Wouldn't hurt to run CCleaner's cleaner and reg cleaner at this point. Best to accept the suggested backup when running the reg cleaner.

10. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

@Nick T,

Sorry, I couldn't get back to XP from Vista soon enough to offer the suggestions that Earthling did. I'm running SAS on my XP drive as well. Didn't realize it would show up as a device in Device Manager. Apparently mine's up-to-date as I haven't had the Add New Hardware Wizard come up.

@Earthling,

Thanks for helping out.

11. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

No problem mdonah, thanks .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds