New HD (non-main) won't format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack Bando, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jack Bando

Jack Bando Private E-2

For anyone who read my last thread, I'm ordering the part I need this week so I can use both HD's and my DVD drive, but first....

(2GB, West Digi Cavier Green)

So, I decide to install the new HD and move some files from DVD/my main HD to the new HD to save space. I follow the instructions I got from Western Digital (put HD in case, plug SATA wires into HD, shut case). I then went to Comp Manager and told it to format the new drive. And off it, went. About %1 every 3 minutes. So once it was 54% I went to bed. When I woke up, it was...54%

Help please.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

[FONT=&quot]Hi

Please try the following method to format the drive:

Open up a Command Prompt as an Administrator. You can do this by finding the cmd.exe in yoru Windows/System32 folder, right-clicking the executable, and selecting “Run as Administrator”. Alternatively, type CMD in the Start Menu search field and activate the Command Prompt using Ctrl + Shift + Enter.

You should be under c:\Windows\system32 (assuming your Windows partition is the C drive). Type “diskpart” in the command line to enter the Disk Partition command line tool, which lets you format and create partitions on active disks.

Type “list disk” to reveal a list of all your active disks, each of which is associated with a number. Make a note of which one is your hard drive, based on the capacity.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next, type the following commands, one at a time: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Select Disk # [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Where # is the number of your hard disk. We typed “Select Disk 6”)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Clean [/FONT][FONT=&quot](removes any existing partitions from the hard disk, including any hidden sectors)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Create Partition Primary[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Creates a new primary partition with default parameters) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Select Partition 1[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Focus on the newly created partition)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Active [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Sets the in-focus partition to active, informing the disk firmware that this is a valid system partition) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Format FS=NTFS[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Formats the partition with the NTFS file system. This may take several minutes to complete, depending on the size of your USB key.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Assign [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Gives the hard drive a Windows volume and next available drive letter, which you should write down. In our case, drive “L” was assigned.) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Exit[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Quits the DiskPart tool)[/FONT]

3. Jack Bando

Jack Bando Private E-2

"Format FS=NTFS (Formats the partition with the NTFS file system. This may take several minutes to complete, depending on the size of your USB key.)"

Left the house while it was doing this. It is stuck on 54%. Is it possible that my PC can't actually use a 2TB backup HD? (Vista 32 bit, PC is from 2007)

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's quite likely, visit Windows Update and check through the optional updates available, there was an update for 2TB drives a few months ago.

5. Jack Bando

Jack Bando Private E-2

Donwloaded a free partition maker (EASEUS), problem was solved in less than 5 minutes.

Wouldn't have found it without the post about Windows needing an update to use 2TB drives. TY

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Jack, don't forget to click that little "Thanks" button.

It's a nice gesture.

:cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds