New HD Partitioned Wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jagdpanzer, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

I used DiscWizard 2003 to format my new 250gb Samsung Spinpoint-P SATA drive. However, instead of getting a full 250gb of space, I got a single partition of 127gb. How do I expand it to be used fully?

2. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

Bump, I need to fix this before I start using the new drive as my actual master.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

From some guy's wiki I Googled:

There have been many threads about why the 127Gb limit occurs and how to fix it. This can be caused by using and older motherboard without LBA enabled, not having SP1 installed with you copy of XP, and that basically hard drive manufacturers use a different method of measuring Gb's that others do. IE a 40Gb HDD is actually only a 37.4Gb capacity. (They use 1000Mb to define a Gb when most people use 1024Mb to define a Gb)

The following links describe the Microsoft method of enabling 48 bit addressing which is the cause of your computer from not recognise larger than 127Gb drives.

support.microsoft.com/de...=kb;en-us;303013[​IMG]

1. Click Start, click Search, and then click All Files and Folders.
    2. Type Atapi.sys, and then click Search.
    3. If you do not find the Atapi.sys file in your %systemroot%\system32\Drivers folder, click More advanced options in Search Companion, click Search hidden files and folders, and then repeat step 2.

For additional information about how to search for hidden and system folders, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    302347 (support.microsoft.com/kb/302347[​IMG]) How to search for hidden or system files in Windows XP
    4. Right-click Atapi.sys in your %systemroot%\System32\Drivers folder, and then click Properties.
    5. Note the file version on the Version tab.

Further down in the linked document is a method of enabling LBA in an unattended installation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds