new HD:safe antivirus install methods?

Discussion in 'Software' started by yeeha, Aug 5, 2006.

1. yeeha

yeeha Private First Class

I've bought a new HD as my old one is dying. I don't especially want to restore any of my backups, and I don't want to download patches etc. using my current drive because I don't really know for sure whether it's infected with some kind of malware.

Basically what I want to do is install a fresh OS along with any necessary patches and security programs, clean out any OEM crap I don't want, and then slowly begin to install the programs I normally use.

The problem seems to be: How do I download SP2 and various security programs and patches safely using my completely unpatched OS install? Won't my disk be highly vulnerable the moment the DSL link goes live?

If anyone has any suggestions, or comments on the following install plan I've got, I'd really appreciate it. And be nice, I'm a newb.

1) Install/format disk
    2) With internet disconnected, install XP/drivers.. clear out OEM junk
    3) Connect DSL, turn on firewall (any way to make sure firewall goes on instantly?)
    4) Download SP2, disconnect, apply, reboot, then repeat with other windows updates
    5) Download/patch ZoneAlarm, then AVG antivirus, then spyware programs

I'm a pretty paranoid sort, but I just don't see how I keep my disk safe while I'm still downloading the security software. What to do ?

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

I think XP Firewall would be default ON so you would have that untill you got the programs you want.
    I would get SP2 installed ( it may be a pain downloading and installing and the free CD would take a while to get to you) and then Updates at Microsoft Update...then Antivirus & Firewall installed.
    Other than using a 'Clean' computer, I think it may be your plan is the way to go.

3. yeeha

yeeha Private First Class

Thanks for the help! Everything appears to have gone smoothly.

Sadly the XP firewall is turned OFF by default, and you can't turn it ON until the network connection goes live. I forgot this, and my computer was unfirewalled for about 5 minutes. By the time I got all my security software installed, I already had several spyware infections. Hopefully viruses have a tougher time getting installed and perhaps I managed to get AVG installed before an infection could take place.

Anyway, thanks again, and if you have any other tips I'm all ears :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds