New HD scrambles....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by watchntv, Nov 25, 2012.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I dont believe this is a malware problem at all. just because I dont go to any sites where I think Id get malware and I have a antispyware/antivirus program and I 99.999% of dont have a problem
    but I did get my old HD replaced with a new one about 25 days ago.
    but everyonce in a while, the whole screen goes scrambly, like gray/white fuzz when you used to turn your tv to a channel you didnt have reception for

does this sound like a Malware problem or a HD problem?

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , i am thinking about memory problem but before that you should run this tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Hard_Disk_Sentinel_d7520.html

ensuring the health of your hdd :wave

3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Was this a fresh install on the new HD? Sounds like maybe your video drivers could be the problem.

5. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

funny you bring that up
    it was a new HD and just today, my sound no longer works

it worked yesterday! what do I do?

6. falconattack

7. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I tried to install that program, it was just trying to make me install a lot of tag alongs, I declined all the tag alongs

I ran devmgmt.msc and all my drivers are up to date

so I didnt change a thing
    yet now my sound works
    I dunno, what changed
    :-D

8. falconattack

Do you mean , you have solved all problems ? :wave

9. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

no, just the sound issue
    I have sound now and sometimes I dont have sound
    if I dont have sound, I restart andthe sound works

the Screen still goes to scrambles sometimes

[​IMG]

10. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I showed a guy the screen shot above
    its actually a movie, of a blurry/static screen

since I have a laptop, he said the wire that connects my laptop cpu to the monitor is fragile and now likely needs to be replaced

cost of diagnosis $35
    replacement wire <$100(he thinks)

I asked him, well it just turns OFF sometimees, is that because of the wire?
    he said no, and once he does the diagnosis, he'lll know why it does that

I didnt give the laptop to him, I felt like I was being ript off...

any thoughts?

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It does seem strange that it only happened after the HD change but a HD replacement is usually very simple and doesn't require much if any disassembly.

Did you reinstall Windows after the HD change or was the OS copied over from the old one?

You might try slimdrivers and see if it recommends a different chipset or graphics driver. If the OS was freshly installed, even if the drivers are up to date they could still cause a problem. Sometimes going back or forward a version helps.

Slimdrivers will set itself to begin at Startup but you can change that after you update your drivers (or decide not to) or even just uninstall the program.

12. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If the cause of the fault is the screen cable which connects to the video card not the cpu then they are practically free or £1, an hour or so disassembly and reassembly depending how fast he is so in total he's being paid just less than $100 per hour for labour.

IMO you are being ripped off but many places will charge this much for laptop disassembly, with availability of service manuals from the laptop manufacturers website though, a job like this is well within the reach of an average user.

It is only a punt though, if it doesn't work out you'll only be down a buck.

13. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

why does it scrable, then if I turn it off/on,its fine again? If the wire is the problem?

14. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I have noticed that the screen goes "blurry" >99% of the time, when I am using Netflix or HuluPLUS and then it happens much faster when I connect my HMDI cord to my TV.
    this didnt happen when I 1st started to use my laptop and one tech guy sugggested that I am asking my processeor to do to much, so it stops
    he had me turn off everything at start up via msconfig-->startup--> disable ALL

when I would use Netflix or HuluPLUS the problem would still happen, but not as fast when I didnt use the HMDI connection(meaning, 3-8mins vs 2-3mins)

any ideas how to not get the scrambles?
    I have an
    Asus UL30A-X5

1.3GHz Intel SU7300 Core 2 Duo Processor
    4GB of DDR3 RAM, 2 slots, 4GB Max
    590GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
    13.3" HD LED LCD Display, Intel GMA 4500MHD, Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn, 0.3M Webcam
    Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System (64 bit)

15. falconattack

16. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

thanks

UL30A
    GPU? Idont see a "model" under the Graphics Tab
    GPU=Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series express Chipset family

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. falconattack

18. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

thanks
    I'm not sure what to do one I install Driver_Sweeper, I ran it, but
    it says i have 7 problems and i must pay to fix those problems,
    should I run my computer in safe mode first?
    or what should I pay to fix the problem
    or other?
    thanks

19. falconattack

You must tick Display box pushing Analyse and Clean to clean up all the leftovers of the graphic driver before you are able to install a new one :wave

Attached Files:

20. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I apologize, I am lost

what program do I find to click Display box pushing Analyse and Clean?
    driver fusion or system check up?
    I have rerun both and dont see that option to click?

21. falconattack

22. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

now Im just really lost
    I watched a few minutes of that and it shows what Fusion does, but I dont know what I'm supposed to do...
    how do I get driver fusion to activate?
    I have a lisence that expires in 2999, but I have no code to activate this product and the website says its free...i dont know what I'm missing

23. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

according to the FAQ, I have activated it with the code they emailed me but I have no idea how to use it
    the 1st screen shot on the video, I have no idea how to get to there

I dont even know what driver fusion does:-o

24. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

ok so I go through each file shown on that screen and delete all the drivers? is that what Im doing?

25. falconattack

I am sorry for my delay , you can follow #18 message installing the driver as i suggested you :wave

26. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

dang it, I typed this message then it all went scrambly and my idea to reboot safe mode went bust when I couldnt connnect to the internet and then it went scrambly 2 more times

thanks for not yelling at me and just pointing me to the post

I installed those 2 drivers....VGA_Intel_WIN7_64_z815102021 and VGA_Intel_WIN7_64_815101892......now what, boss?

[​IMG]

27. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

dang it, I really really appreciate the help
    but to just check this thread, I started my computer-->favorites--> this thread.-->scrambly -->restart

ok now 6 times and the 5th time the power just SHUT OFF

HELP!

28. falconattack

Do you mean your computer is shutting off without occasion ? Do you have any ? in Device Manager ? :wave

29. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

yes, it just TURNS off
    I got sick of it and took it to a computer shop and 3 days later,they see what happens to the screen only when its on netflix, they think its the mother board...which I dont know why that would be busted
    they said if it is, to just buy a new computer

so what do I get?(laptop)

30. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

it works, partially, when booted in safe mode...why is this? the motherboard is dying? so does it work?

31. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

i can use my compyter in vsafe mode, but the touchpad akes typying hhaarrddd how can i turn the touchpad off

32. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You never mentioned the model of HP laptop.
    My old HP had a toggle button above the touchpad that turned it off and on. My Acer netbook shows the touchpad icon on the F7 key so Fn + F7 toggles the touchpad on and off.

33. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

sure did

I also have a Fn key that turns off the touchpad, F9
    but it doesnt work

34. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sorry, I thought it was an HP laptop and ASUS was the mobo.
    If the Fn + F9 doesn't toggle the touchpad off, I don't know what to tell you.

35. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

sounds like it might be a heat issue
    is the cpu fan still spinning ?

36. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

So laptop will only work in Safe Mode? but typing is hard due to the touchpad being where your palms would sit while typing I guess.

I think part of the issue is if your PC will not work ok in normal mode then you may have carry over issues in safe mode and many can be driver/software related, so the fix is to fix any issue you have that causes your PC not to work in normal mode.

One is drivers and as already mentioned early do you have any yellow ! marks in device manager and by what device?
    Have you been using any driver updater apps before all these issues happened?

Could try to disable the touchpad this way Control panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Right click on the PC device >Mouse Settings > ELAN Tab and there should be an option to Stop Device

Next is what software do you have starting with your PC, would need to try this in normal mode as it may not pickup in Safe Mode (never tried it TBH).

I do agree with cosmicma and this could be a heat issue, so as well as fans spinning are all the air vents free from dust and fluff?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds