new install hard drive and xp question

Discussion in 'Software' started by tat2d12000, Jul 15, 2006.

1. tat2d12000

tat2d12000 Private First Class

i just put a new drive in, booted from xp cd , partitioned the drive, but was not given install option "format the partition using the NTFS file system". how do i know it is installed correctly? i don't want fat32 so i need to know right now b4 i load this thing up. this hd is brand new and i want it to stay clean. please help.
    :confused:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What exactly happpened ....after it formats, which takes a while, it should either start loading or ask if you want to install on that partition ...

3. tat2d12000

it asked me to install to the partition but didn't ask what format i wanted. do i need to start over?

4. TimW

No .....if for some reason, its in a fat format, you can convert it later.

5. tat2d12000

is there a way to tell if it's in ntfs? everything seems to be stable so far. i used the cox security suite i had horrible results with in ME and it is workin' fine. where do i go from here. i loaded recordnow and it works. what am i forgetting?

6. TimW

UPdates .....set a restore point ....download the updates ...see if everything is stable ....then do your programs ...as to the file system ....open my computer and click once on the c drive ...it will show size, used space and file system.

7. tat2d12000

i partitioned my drive with C being the partition windows is on and E being the rest of the disk. what should i seperate from windows to keep it safe? i tried to put something on E and it asked me if i wanted to format it. is that 'cause it's empty? does it matter if i format it in ntfs or fat32 or will it even ask me?

8. TimW

Safest is to format it nfts .....it may not ask ....control panel / admin tools / computer management / disc management ....right click on the space shown as E and drop down should show format or initialize disc ...

9. tat2d12000

what should i keep away from window on E ? it does show my C partition to be NTFS so i guess that answers that question.

10. TimW

Put anything you want on the E drive .....idea being that if c crashes, and you reinstall xp on the c drive, your stuff will still be there .....so e would be good for storage files, acting as a file server for other 'puters on your "workgroup" ...miss. programs that you want to try out and may uninstall after a short while ....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds