New Laptop - BSOD's Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fyreblade, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

Hi there guys, I recently bought a new Samsung 700G7A-S02UK and I've already started having issues with it.
    I've been getting BSOD whilst doing various things, like streaming Netflix or playing Starcraft 2, I can't pinpoint a specific issue. They occur randomly during use, not during start-up.

Error title is: Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error
    The STOP code is: 0x0000007A

(followed by these parameters, which aren't like any I've found from googling the issue)

(0xFFFFF6FB80008000, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x0000000128A65880, 0xFFFFF70001000018)

Potential causes
    I've read that my particular stop code usually relates to: Memory, Paging file corruption, File system, Hard drive, Cabling, Virus infection, Improperly seated cards, BIOS, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

Current troubleshooting I've done
    • I've run a sfc /scannow which returned no results
    • I've run Windows Memory Diagnostics which gave no errors
    • I've done a full system virus scan, which found nothing
    • I've error scanned my C drive using "HD Tune Pro" which found no damaged sectors
    • I've run a chkdsk /f /r which turned up a few messages (details below)

Check disc report (I've bolded bits that stood out for me)

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

So, in short, can anyone help me with this? Particularly in interpreting the BSOD error message and the chkdsk report, and any troubleshooting you can guide me through - I'd be very grateful!!

Many thanks in advance, Matt :)

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome Fyreblade.

Attaching the zipped dump files would be useful but more info can be gleaned if you carefully follow the instructions at Sysnative and attach the required zip file(s) back here, we'll try to work out what's going on.

4. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

Hi Cipher, I've downloaded SlimDrivers and it says a number of drivers are out of date - but when I use Device Manager to search for out-of-date drivers it says they're up-to-date, do you know why this is?

5. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

Ok I've not been able to download any driver updates for my audio/visual drivers, but I did run Samsung Easy Software Manager and see that there was some Windows SP1 updates that weren't installed, so I've done them, not sure if it's made any difference.

@Satrow, thanks for the reply, I'll get onto providing those dumps now (though not sure if I have dumps enabled currently, so might have to wait until another BSOD to post anything)

6. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

Hi Satrow, thanks for offering your help, here's the zipped folder with the stuff (I hope) all inside!

Just in case you want the extra info Sysnative was asking to be included:

OS - Windows 7 64-bit
    Original OS - unchanged
    Pre-installed onto system
    Newly purchased two weeks ago, hardware may be older
    OS installation age - n/a

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Graphics card - AMD Radeon HD6970M (2GB DDR5)
    Motherboard - Intel HM65

Samsung 700G7A-SO2UK

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. satrow

Neither Windows Device Manager nor any software driver updater can be relied on for driver updating, best to learn how to do it yourself from the computer and chip makers' sites. Use Device Manager > Properties to find the *.sys name and the DRT to find out further details is my preferred method.

No dump in the upload :( do you use something like Ccleaner?

I don't see anything obvious, I'd begin by ruling out Norton/Symantec involvement by completely uninstalling their software, use the Norton Removal Tool to be sure it's all gone.

Install MSE as a replacement and check that Windows built-in firewall is active.

Update your chipset and Wireless/Bluetooth drivers from Intel.

8. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

No I don't use ccleaner, but it's a new computer and I don't think I've had minidumps enabled before I had any blue screens, so I'm waiting for another to happen now, like a fisherman with a rod :-D

I tried installing updated drivers for AMD - but when I installed their tool for detecting the right drivers it said that the installation failed for some reason, is it possible that Samsung has tweaked the drivers so that I can't use the manufacturer's site?

9. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

Could you tell me how to update drivers using the .sys files? Take my AMD High Definition Audio Device, for example, I go to properties and "Driver Details" but there's four .sys driver files, and two .dll files - how do I know which / what to use? Only one is provided by AMD (C:\windows\system32\drivers\AtihdW76.sys), is that what I should be using to search with? And how do I go about that (I've never done this before!) :-o

Completely uninstalled Norton and replaced with MSE

Again, I'm not sure how I should go about seeing if my Intel chipset is out of date, is there a video tutorial / written guide anywhere that I could use?

10. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

11. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

Ok thanks got it to work (for Intel at least!)

1. Graphics Driver is AMD, so was listed as unknown/unsupported
    2. Chipset was stated as 'valid'
    3. Audio Driver was again by AMD, so listed as unknown/unsupported
    4. Wifi driver was out-of-date, so that's been updated
    5. Wired networking was by Realtek, so was listed as unknown/unsupported

I'm assuming the AMD and Realtek components were detected because they were attached to the Intel chipset? Unfortunately when I go to the AMD website I get this error message...

[​IMG]

... do you know what's causing this / how else to update the AMD drivers? I went to the Samsung website to look for driver updates, but for some reason I can't find my model number (NP700G7A-SO2UK)..

I'm going to call up the support centre today and see if they can walk me through finding any driver updates too.

edit: I ran memtest86+ for five passes last night and found no errors, so we can tick off RAM issues as well

12. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

At the moment, I think I've ruled out the following issues(?):

Memory
    Hard drive
    Virus infection
    Missing Service Pack

And I don't know how to troubleshoot these issues, have I indirectly proven that any of these aren't the problem, through the other tests I've run?

Paging file corruption
    File system
    Cabling
    Improperly seated cards
    BIOS
    Bad motherboard
    Outdated Drivers

p.s. When I tried to stress my system into a BSOD using Driver Verifier I was getting a lot of sound distortion (like buzzing, static etc). I remembered that just before I got a BSOD the sound always collapsed into an electronic buzz before cutting out, does this indicate a sound problem or is it just a side-effect? I sometimes get short bursts of distortion with the windows sound effects when opening some windows as well.

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Call me Missus "State the Obvious".
    If I had problems with a new computer, I'd be returning it.
    New computers should work; you should not have to spend hours troubleshooting hardware.

14. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

The problem is that I bought it from www.saveonlaptops.co.uk - and their returns policy states that if they can't find any faults in the device, I have to pay the shipping costs and up to 25% of the invoice.

And since the bsod are randomly occurring, and I can't find any specific hardware faults from my troubleshooting, I doubt they'll accept that it's faulty.. I doubt they'll sit on the laptop for 15 hours watching netflix and hoping that it'll blue screen :(

15. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

Hi Satrow, I had another blue screen of death tonight, after I'd updated my BIOS, chipset and other drivers..

the BSOD said that it had refused to write a memory dump, even though I've configured the system to write them to %SystemRoot%\Minidump - no such folder exists.

I'm really running out of options to stop this :(

16. satrow

17. Zedan

Zedan Private E-2

Any update, Fyreblade?
    I've got exactly the same problem with my new Samsung... same model...
    Did you re-install windows and did it help? I've tried many things:
    - memtest86
    - Seatools
    - Re-Install drivers

Still, every day 2-3 BSOD

18. Fyreblade

Fyreblade Private E-2

No nothing yet, windows recently installed a ton of updates but not done anything stressful since, so no idea whether that's done anything.

I'm starting to suspect it may be a heating issue, since I read that BSOD's that happen because of overheating don't always generate a minidump..
    I've noticed that whilst playing some games the CPU cores can clock up to 80'C - and that the air venting out of the back never feels 'too' hot, so I'm not sure.

I'm getting mine returned, however, I might request a discounted upgrade to the 700G7C in case that has been built more soundly, not sure yet... what're you doing when you get the BSOD crashes?

19. Zedan

Zedan Private E-2

Hi,
    well, it turned out (so far) that the system disk had an error which S.M.A.R.T. reported with a HDD-Scanner. So we ghosted the drive to a new disk (to save re-installing everything) and all looks good.
    I will post any updates if I still receive BSODs.
    the BSODs vary... either it's just sitting there doing nothing obvious, or I'm accessing the disk intensively... so not really based on any special actions. However, just before the BSOD, the disk-access light is on constant and the OS freezes. Then, disk light goes to normal state and 2-3 seconds later, BANG.
    And yes, it's a brand new Laptop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds