New Liquid Cooled Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aidan80, Jan 8, 2015.

1. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

After 5 long years of service I've retired my old Core2Quad Q9400 (clocked at 3.2Ghz) in favor of something a bit more exotic and modern.

AMD FX8320 (stock) 3.5Ghz/4.0Ghz
    Corsair H90
    2x4GB - 8GB DDR GSkill Ripjaws 1600
    Asus GA 970A DS3P
    128GB OCZ
    2TB WD 7200RPM HDD
    2GB Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition
    BFG 650w PSU
    Antec P100 Case

[​IMG]

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Very NICE. what sort of temps are you getting?

OCZ which model SSD? I have had a few (still have 4 of them from Vertex2 and Vertex3, all used ans backup devices for images of SSD/HDD data), while they are good, I have found the Samsung EVO's far superior in speed.

ASUS boards I love, use a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe at the moment, its a 2yr old desktop now but works really well as the Intel i7-3770K unlocked CPU is running at default O/C settings in the ASUS BIOS @ 3900mhz with on air a CPU temp of 29c after 2hrs of variable usage.

What OS did you go for Aidan?

3. aidan80

Thanks, at idle it's around 15c, full load after three hours it was sitting at 34c on the CPU. That Corsair H90 is very nice more so on the hot running AMD FX, the only thing I'm not happy about AMD chips are the heat. However this is my first venture back to AMD since 2005 and to be honest for what I want/need this is an excellent chip.

The OCZ is an older model and a re-certified model too the Agility 2 but has served and is serving very well. I'm currently looking for a 256GB or a 512GB if one at a decent prices crops up.

ASUS does make some very solid products. My last machine was running an Intel ASUS board and never once failed me. My current board is good enough for now. If I decide to O/C this thing any significant amount I'll get something better suited. For now I'm happy with stock or a few hundred mhz over it.

That's a nice O/C and good cooling, you must have some good airflow in your case. What type of air cooler do you have on your I7. I had the Zalman 9700 on my Core2Quad and it never faulted me once nor did the Core2Quad. I stuck with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'll tweak my setup a bit more as time goes on. The only thing other than the SSD I may replace would be the stock cooler on the 7870. That card gets hot, at load it's in the low 60's.

4. DavidGP

Hi Aiden

Yeah the AMD CPUs do tend to heat a bit over latest Intel's and I agree with you on re-using your Agility 2, nice SSD in the day, close in speed if not better than my Vertex 2's

500GB Samsung 840 EVOs are starting to come at a good price, dependant on your location, in UK where I am they are good price if you want to go for speed, bit more expensive than HDDs but they dont offer the read/writes of SSDs

I agree with you on ASUS, rock solid, have my old ASUS P6T is being used in my personal home Windows Server 2012 R2 box, its that stable.

Thanks, yes the case is a Coolermaster 690 111 and the Case fans are Noctua, with a Zalman CNPS9800, and I cable manage as best as I can for airflow as well as position fans, the SSDs and I use a Samsung 840 EVO for OS and a OCZ SSD for temp data, then a 1TB WD Green and a 2TB WD Green for storage, the case and fans + cable position seem to help, it takes a bit of thought when you are building to manage the cables to not block the GPU, CPU or RAM from good airflow, but I think its worth it in the end, a stable and quick PC.

Your case management looks superb Aiden! really clean and tidy, eat your dinner off it!

I run Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Agreed the stock coolers good for general users but power users you need to go 3rd party.

5. aidan80

Still not a bad SSD, boots to the desktop in less than 30 seconds. USA here, originally from next door in Ireland. I just looked at an 840 (250GB) on Amazon $135 and the 850's (250GB) are $133. Nice, Windows Server 2012 R2 at home! I've got Windows Home Server in a VM here I was thinking of running as a VM or I may recycle my old Core2Quad to host files or I may eBay it buy something low powered and quiet. Yes the ASUS products are rock solid as are Zalman. I'll have to check out those Noctua fans sometime.

Sounds like a slick machine your running, those Coolermaster 690 111 cases are very nice. You'll have to post a picture sometime. Thanks, it took a bit of work to route the cables around the back but well worth it.

6. DavidGP

HI Aidan

Yeah I play a lot with OS's and I was a Microsoft MVP for 7yrs in the area of Windows Operating Systems, so managed to get hold of various software, still beta test Windows OS. As for 2012 Server wanted to give it a whirl as works IT dept said it was difficult to install, yeah right! so less than an hour later I had it installed and used to backup my other PC, and laptop/netbook.

I have used and love WHS, superb OS and pity that MSFT binned it a few years back, did write an install guide many years back on V1 of WHS HERE

Noctua fans are superb, do look them up as they give really good CFM and are quite, you can also using some of the cables they give tweak the speeds to your liking.

I agree on the cables, well worth it. Yeah will dig out some pics of the PC, sure I have a few somewhere.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds