New Moniter Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jud149, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I just purchased a new Samsung LCD 24" model B2430H to support my XP Pro system. The problem I'm noticing is upon reinitiating the screen after it goes blank from PC inactivity, the quality of the characters is terrible. Once the screen is turned off and then back on, all is well again. My old 19" Samsung never did this. Return it or is there something I can do to correct this?

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

First, go to www.samsung.com, search for the model #, download the latest XP monitor driver and install it to see if it solves the issue.

If not, go to the PC or video card mfr. support page and download/install the latest XP video drivers for your PC. Also, be sure your existing video card or on-board video truly supports the resolutin you have the monitor set to display at. There are rare cases where XP offers a higher resolution setting in options the video processor can't support.

If neither of these tips work I would call or e-mail Samsung tech support - be sure to include as much info about your PC as possible: brand, model #, any upgrades, type of video cable (SVGA, DVI or HDMI) and the Service Pack (SP) for XP currently installed (you can find this by going to CONTROL PANEL>SYSYEM). If they can't solve it within a day or two I'd either return it to the store or set up a warranty exchange thru Samsung.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks for the response. I did return the unit for another of the same model. I don't know yet if this unit will have the same problem or not as I just now set it up.

In the mean time, my PC, Dell with XP Pro, SP 3, is 4 years old and I assume it is not set up for a HD monitor. According to the directions, the optimal resolution for this HD monitor is 1920 x 1080 which my PC has no setting for. I would like to take advantage of the HD feature which I assume would enhance my graphics and was wondering if any of your above suggestions would accomplish this. The rep at Office Depot where I purchase the monitor said I would need an upgraded video card which I have no problem doing once I find out the type of card I should get. Any help would be appreciated as I know nothing about this area.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

What is the make/model number of your Dell?

5. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

It's a Dimension E310 P4 purchased new in August of 2006.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

From this link it looks like you have a PCIe x1 slot, which is okay. You can get a relatively cheap graphics card and install it in that slot.

Here's my recommendation:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500164

Others may have better cards to recommend for your needs. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like your computer would support PCIe x8 or x16, which puts a damper on the video cards you can add. I don't THINK x8 and x16 cards are backwards-compatible, but I could be wrong.

7. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks very much for the info. Would such a card improve the graphics for internet activity? I do not use any games on my PC.

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

That card will allow you to use 1920x1080 (also called "1080p") resolution on your monitor, which will improve your viewing experience on your computer as a whole.

For the price, I would say it's worth it. That card isn't designed for games, anyway... sadly enough your computer as a whole wouldn't be able to handle any modern games well. Since you don't use your computer for gaming, and your computer serves you for what you use it for, that doesn't matter, though!

Personally, I was very happy when I bought a 24" widescreen monitor and started using 1080p resolution. I mostly use my computer for web browsing and some documents... I can easily view two pages at a time using MS Word.

9. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Great! Is installation of this card relatively easy? I've have installed memory, a hard drive, and a disc drive w/o problems.

Also, is there a way to be certain the card will work in my PC before I order it?

10. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yes, it's very easy. It will simply seat (much like memory) into a slot on the motherboard. Just install it on the PCIe slot on your motherboard (you only have one, finding it should be simple enough). It only uses 18W of power, so it shouldn't be a problem for your power supply.

The card is definitely compatible with your computer hardware. The ONLY possible incompatibility would be Vista, but I doubt you will have an issue. If for some reason the card won't work with Vista (which I'm pretty sure it will), Newegg has a good RMA/return policy.

11. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

If you wouldn't mind, have a look at this review that I ran across regarding a problem installing this card in the Dell E310 and tell me what you think. Actually, I've seen a couple of reviews like this.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R37QBLQ4SN0X2J/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R37QBLQ4SN0X2J

12. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Okay. First of all, that user was running Windows XP. That review references an error that had to do with the drivers. Different versions of Windows use completely different drivers (drivers are simply a "dictionary" that allows hardware to communicate with software... obviously since every version of Windows is different, a different "dictionary" is needed). Unless the other reviews referenced Vista, I don't think you would experience that issue.

Secondly, it's good to see you do your homework on stuff! This prevents a lot of problems people run into.

And finally, something I forgot: if you do get that (or another) video card, the monitor cable will plug into the port on that video card instead of the original location on the back of the computer. Also, I forgot to mention that installing the card will involve a small crosshead screw (so you'll need a crosshead screwdriver) to secure it in the PC.

13. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Actually, I'm running XP Pro, SP 3.

14. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Oops! My mistake. In that case, it does sound risky to get that card. You can look at the compatible cards for your computer and see if there's another one you might like instead (from my Newegg search), although the price is quite a bit higher on the other cards, which is why I recommended that one.

From the comment you linked to, it appears the user was able to remedy the issue by reseating the card while Windows was loading, though that sounds like a somewhat risky venture.

Newegg compatible cards list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

15. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Honestly, to me it would make sense for you to simply get a new computer. I found a few good deals Newegg is offering, that you might want to consider.

Obviously, you don't need one that comes with a monitor.

Here's a few that look like decent deals from Newegg. You can also check Tiger Direct (www.tigerdirect.com). I wouldn't recommend HP/Compaq.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108325

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113142

A decent setup I found on Tiger Direct (actually looks like the best out of my 3 links):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6753723&CatId=5138

16. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Would any of the first three cheaper ones do the trick?

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?fkey=&Ntt=pci+express+x1+video+card

17. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

No. They are all PCI 2.0 and x16. Sorry.

The connector your computer has is older, and unfortunately most manufacturers have stopped making cards with that interface. I'll see if I can find another cheaper card that would work with your computer.

18. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you're not into gaming or Blu-Ray and the PC performs OK (no graphics freeze ups running your current apps) the video card upgrade is not a "must have" item.

Given the age of the PC, I agree with mcsmc: Stick with your current PC as long as it fits your needs and the lower screen resolution is acceptable. If and when your budget allows it, a new PC will improve the speed and performance of all apps - not just the graphics. A new PC will also include Windows 7 which is more user friendly than XP.

Good luck on your decision. :)

19. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

You are the man. I really appreciate you staying with me like this. Many thanks. Jud

20. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I've done a bit of searching, and unfortunately am not finding much.

I did find this card, which sells cheaper from this seller (but not sure about that seller).

21. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Again, many thanks. Maybe I'll opt for the Amazon card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds