New Motherboard Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WillfulZombie, Apr 10, 2010.

1. WillfulZombie

WillfulZombie Private E-2

Hello, I'm trying to upgrade my old Compaq Presario SR1630NX.
    It has an ASUS A8AE-LE motherboard.
    I would like to replace the motherboard with a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboard. Will I have a problem installing the necessary drivers? One customer review noted that-
    "There is one HUGE problem with this mobo if you plan on hooking up a SATA hard drive though. You're going to need the drivers and there not found on the enclosed CD. Funny thing this mobo, when installing windows it asks for the sata drivers via a floppy disk. No floppy-good luck. I can't see how you're going to get the OS onto the HDD. Once I did a bit of fishing on the suppliers website via an extra computer, I was able to load the driver(s) on a floppy and the rest was a piece of cake. Bottom line, if you're going to install a SATA drive you must have a floppy attached. Get the drivers from the manufacturer and you won't bang your head for 4 hours like I did. You're going to love this mobo. If you aren't going to attach a floppy, get another motherboard or use an ide HDD."
    Can you please tell me how to go about installing the drivers without a floppy disk?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Do you have the sata drivers? Also what os are you trying to install?

There is a way to make your own custom windows install including the Sata drivers.

Also did you already buy this motherboard?

3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Slipstream

Good Luck

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Only way really to do it.

5. WillfulZombie

I am trying to install Windows Media Edition, will that make this MoBo easier or harder to install? Thanks for the help, you guys rock!:)

6. WillfulZombie

And no, I dont have the new motherboard yet.

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Just realized that the post was useless!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  8. WillfulZombie

I don't have the discs for the OS or any other discs, my computer didn't come with them. Again, I have Windows XP Media Edition. I need to order the motherboard today, i just need to know where to get the discs, and how to install the drivers for the MoBo. I hope I'm not asking for too much help.

9. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

If the you do not have the o/s dics or reinstall discs, then the only other way I can think of to do this is by using the i386 folder located at root [C:\]

Without a floppy drive, you will need to create a Slipstream disc of the o/s containing the SATA drivers. To create a Slipstream disc you will need the o/s disc or create an install disc from the i386 folder.

BTW, the user whose review you attached does not appear to be very knowledgeable IMO.

Good Luck

10. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

LOL i was just thinking the same thing! But i may not have put it so nicely! :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds