New MSI Platinum SLI Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BCClements, Mar 27, 2005.

1. BCClements

BCClements Private E-2

I am working with my second MSI socket 939 motherboard on a new system build. The first one received was DOA.

The new one works fine except for CPU temperture monitoring. When I select the Hardware Monitor (H/W) option in the BIOS setup, the CPU tempature reads 220C and the system freezes. At that point I must crtl-alt-del or reset to restart.

The CPU and heatsink are not hot at all and the system boots into Windows XP Pro fine. All of the installed components work and I can use the computer to run any program. Without proper temperature monitoring, the system fans run at high speed.

Since I bought my components on-line it is a major hassle to return something.

Should I suspect another bad motherboard or the CPU? Both are new.

I don't have any motherbaord or CPU for testing.

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

with the system freezing and temps reading high, i would do the basics first.
    I would double check the heatsink, take it off, and apply some thermal paste, and put it backon, just to make sure that it wasn't causing a problem.

3. BCClements

BCClements Private E-2

Thanks for the response.

Been there, done that.

I am past all the basic troubleshooting stuff as I have built many systems before.

I am hoping someone might be familiar with this particular motherboard.

4. Den

Den Private First Class

5. BCClements

BCClements Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds