new network install or transfer settings?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by provobis, May 28, 2011.

1. provobis

provobis Private First Class

I want to avoid wholesale file or settings transfer to my new XP pro install. My original system has developed errors that can't be entirely fixed so I am in the process of building the system on a new HD, but using the same partitioning as the original. If I were to transfer original files and settings I would be transferring all the errors with them so I intend to reactivate XP pro on a new HD, reinstall my programs and selectively transfer data. In order to do that I not only need internet but want to preserve (and use) my DSL and networking service and settings on the new XP HD installation.

On my old HD I am using a Ethernet adsl Windstream modem with a Linksys WRT54G router to provide both DSL and wireless connection to a remote computer. I have tried the conventional ways to "automatically detect", etc, settings on my new XP pro installation but it can't detect the DSL and Linksys hardware and settings that are operational. I suspect that the Linksys has something to do with failure to detect DSL so it seems to me I have to selectively transfer my DSL and Router settings to my fresh HD install. If that's possible I don't know how to do that. If it's not possible will I have to reinstall DSL and wireless router on the new HD install?

I have 28 days to figure this out before the XP activation expires on my new XP HD. Thanks Bill. :-D

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You should be able to just plug in the computer to the modem and let it configure itself.

3. provobis

Thanks Tim, but I tried that even using different cable (modem, router) connections. I think that somehow the Linksys router changes the way detection occurs. In other words those two hardware installations are unique to the system (configuration, settings, etc) so "automatic" detection is not an system option on a new system install. That's why I'm trying to transfer those settings to my new HD system setup on the new HD. I don't want to lose those settings on the old HD because I need to use that XP to copy EXE's, data, certain programs, etc and to maintain regular internet routines until the new HD is ready. I've done this before but only with the Windstream modem, not with a router installed.

4. TimW

Strange, does not running ipconfig in a command prompt give you the info you need?

5. provobis

Running ipconfig gives me a momentary screen which instantly disappears. So in any case I don't know if anything there would give me settings I can make in the new HD setting fields that would take over my modem/router operations for the new HD.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Open command prompt then run ipconfig in that window, and it wont pop up and disappear.

7. provobis

Right, sorry. Now you know why I'm still private E2 here. Thanks. Ran ipconfig and got the info, but not sure how (or where) to apply in the new HD fields to see if it will take. I'll do some homework here to find out but if you can give me some tutoring meanwhile...;)

8. provobis

Well guys, I managed to get DSL back on the new HD install, but only by reconnecting an old modem model that was replaced with a newer model by the isp last year. I did not connect the Linksys router but only basic first time PNP connection procedure...when the XP pops up and says it wants to configure the network connection (with the install CD that first came with this old modem). So I was able to activate XP online which will give me more time to complete the new HD build.

However, this is not the way I wanted to do the new install job, because when I go online with the new HD I will not have the functionality of wireless (Linksys) connection to my other computer, so I'm still left with the question of modem/router settings in the new HD which I have been unable to try. When I bring up network connections there is no LAN connection choice to click, in fact there is no choice at all except the left hand menu to create a new connection. So in the new XP install window(s) I can't get to LAN properties and then Internet protocol fields (TCP/IP). I don't know why that LAN connection choice does not load. Any suggestions?

9. TimW

Check device manager for any yellow ! or ?. You should have both the LAN and ethernet controllers.

10. provobis

Thanks Tim, At the moment I'm back on the original XP install HD so can't check how many yellows I have, but I recall there are several. I'll have to get back on new XP HD to see exactly what they are. However I do recall one of the yellows is called a ethernet controller, and on my old XP that controller is a Realtec "RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit ET" that is working...and since there's no controller card installed in any PCI slots that must be a driver that was installed when I originally configured my old XP with modem and Linksys router. I'm thinking that I need to download that "E" Realtec driver in the new XP. Do you agree? If so it will have to wait a few as I'm currently preoccupied with errors in old XP and need to keep its modem/router configuration in place. My motherboard doesn't like me switching HD's around in its SATA ports and modem/ethernet cables, gets kinda confused and sometimes won't reboot. In the meantime I would love to hear more from you or anyone with thoughts and suggestions. :)

11. TimW

Yes, I agree. You should find all your drivers on the manufacturers web site under downloads.

12. provobis

OK, that did it> Downloaded Realtec driver and the system sees all my wireless settings in new XP. Now it's a matter of reinstalling all my applications, transferring data, etc.

Thanks Tim and Coleman. Have a good one. :wave

13. TimW

You are most welcome. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds