NEW PC~Should I get Faster DSL + Hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buffee, Jul 12, 2012.

1. buffee

buffee Private E-2

Wasn't sure where I should put this question. Just got rid of my 8 year old HP desktop(and NO it still worked fine, just too small) and I just got a LENOVO with 6GB RAM and 2 terabyte HD....anyway...it almost feels like this desktop is slower then the HP...of course I still haven't removed all the crap off of it yet...my question is, I am with AT & T, whould I increase my DSL speed now(couldn't before) and upgrade the modem/router to a better one??? thanks;)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi buffee

I would guess that this new Lenovo has Windows 7 64bit SP1 installed?

If your internet speed before the new PC was connected to your internet was fast with the HP then no an increase in DSL speed is not likely to help you much, as the issue is likely something installed on the Lenovo.

I would start by removing all the surplus applications that makers add as many of them are none equired apps that startup with the PC and most tend to also like JAVA, Adobe have updaters which use the internet to check for updates. Most updates are not that frequent to really need these updaters.

Then check Windows update for any updates and then Lenovo support for any udpated drivers mainly Networking.

Then see how you are doing.

If speeds are the same then check AT&T for any firmware updates to your modem and what model is it btw?

What you could try is if the modem is an old one it may not be fully compatible with Windows 7 so either a tweak, update in modem firmware or a new modem could help.

First I would try the tweak in this one below and what it does it disable an auto-tuning option some modems do not have for the newer windows TCP/IP protocols.

You will need to do this from an elevated commant prompt and to do this type CMD in the Start Search box and then right click it and choose Run as Administrator, then type this in at the prompt

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

and hit enter, you can set it back to enabled by the below command

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

If that doesnt help then contact AT&T but if your internet speeds where OK before on the old PC then do not let AT&T talk you into a quicker package as the likelyhood is the old modem is the cause.

3. buffee

buffee Private E-2

Upgraded to faster DSL~made a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! difference. I am flying now. thanks:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds