New Power cord for laptop will not charge computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runfromabear, Aug 20, 2014.

1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

I recently purchased a new power cord for my Dell Vostro 3700 laptop. It is not an original dell cord but one that should be compatible with my laptop. I noticed that the cord will power my laptop when plugged in, but it will not recharge the battery at all.

It is an 85v power cord. I am just wondering if I need to change something in my computer settings to allow this need cord to power the laptop and recharge the battery.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Shut the laptop down, pull the battery and re-seat it. If it still fails to charge, it means the battery needs replacing.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I agree with this.

Otherwise your description indicates "not an original dell cord" - a cord is a cord for most laptops and all PCs - can you find another cord to test?

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Are you getting any messages about the power adapter at startup? As Bold Eagle mentioned, there are some newer Dell models that can sense whether the power adapter is genuine Dell or an aftermarket brand (a built-in ripoff to force you to buy a Dell brand replacement).

If you have to end up buying a Genuine Dell, don't get ripped off buying it from Dell for $80-$90. It's about $30 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-19-5V-Re...820836&sr=1-1&keywords=vostro+3700+power+cord

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds