New PSU and Videocard in Sony VGC-RA840G (yuck, I know)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sire011886, Sep 15, 2008.

1. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I hope Everest did its job:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600
    Computer:
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Motherboard:
    CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport i945P
    System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (05/18/05)
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (128 MB)

Motherboard 05/18/2005-LakePort-P5LP-VX-00
    Motherboard 1001
    Motherboard DMIMOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC. P5LP-VX
    Motherboard DMISYS: Sony Corporation VGC-RA840G

I have a Cosair 450W psu for my new EVGA e-GeForce 9600 GT KO.
    When I installed Cosair, I got an error message that said the fan wasn't detected, though it spins fine. BIOS outdated, right? (three years out of date)
    I finally found that it's an AUStek motherboard in the debug section of the Everest report, though now I can't find the model number.

So close! And I'll for sure need a hard disk to update my BIOS when(!) I find the update with your help, right?
    How self-sufficient is a BIOS update? Meaning: How easily can I screw it up?

Help anyone? Thanks in advance.

~ Anti

2. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

Apparently I got it:
    Asus p5lp-vx motherboard
    Problem is, Sony built it custom and never (surprise!) released any BIOS updates for it.
    ...Now where are those return receipts...?

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You got me a bit confrused! What is the problem? I ask this because a BIOS flash is pretty easy, it can be done from Windows or from a floppy disk. It can also brick your motherboard.:cry

Why do you need to update the BIOS? A bit more info would be very helpful!

E

4. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I wanted to install a 450W psu for my new EVGA e-GeForce 9600 GT KO and needed to update the BIOS to do so. I can't because it's a mobo unique to the tower and has no BIOS updates.
    Thanks anyways.

Thread closed (?)

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thread open!

Now, does the new PSU plug into and power everything in your box? Or is it a propriatary mobo that a standard PSU will not work in?

E

6. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I installed the Cosair appropriately and got an error message when I turned on the computer that said the fan wasn't detected, though it spun fine.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Does the computer work and you just get an error message or does it not boot?

Go in the BIOS and see if you can disable the fan warning. I have never heard of a PSU fan warning. Would be nice to have though.

E

8. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

The computer never boots, the error screen comes up.
    How do I disable the warning? That'd be sweet.
    The only option I get is F2 for the BIOS settings.

~ Anti

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The only BIOS no-boot fan issue I have ever run across is if the CPU fan is not running the computer may not boot. First off, double check that all the fans, especially the one on the CPU heatsink are spinning when you try to boot.

If they are all spinning, look around in the BIOS for maybe advanced settings, or power settings for anything to do with a fan. You may have to look at all the options in the BIOS before you run accross it. Just be carefull what you change, and write down what you changed and how you got to it.

Strange. Confrusing! :confused

E

10. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

Well I put the old psu back and am using my computer now, so there's no inherent issue with the cpu fan. I'll mess around when I get the chance -maybe tomorrow- and let you know what happens.
    Thanks again Fred_G (or is it E?)

~ Anti

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I go by Fred or E. E is easier to type.

E

12. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I hear ya, E. My name's Antonio. I'd never call myself that, much less type it out.
    I'll be in touch.

~ Anti

13. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I turned off the Fan monitoring and when I booted the computer with the old psu, it turned on fine. With the new, I got a light on the front for power, fns spinning, but no BIOS beeps and the monitor never showed anything.

I think Ima start planning on a custom build...

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So it works with the old PSU and not the new PSU? RMA time for the new PSU perhaps.

E

15. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I honestly think the new psu works fine, but my Sony motherboard won't accept it. I may return it just cause and keep my video card since I got it on sale. Hopefully that encourages me to build my own system soon.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Building your own is the way to go in my opinion! Sorry I could not help you very much. We try! :-D

E

17. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

Definitely on both counts. Thanks again E.

~ Anti

18. Renwok

Renwok Private E-2

I also have a Sony VGC-RA840G the PSU died on me 9/17/07 just got my new PSU today from Newegg 2/6/09

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

Also got the massage with the fan. I went to BIOS turned off the warning and the computer booted up just fine. I've been on the computer all day today and still no problems. The PSU works great! I also want to get a new video card but i don't know which ones would work with this system

19. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Sire,

Some motherboards come with a connector for the PSU Fan and the PSU has an extra lead to plug into it. You probably did the right thing by turning off the fan monitoring. I never had both MB and PSU with Fan Lead connections in the same comp but, have never had a problem over it. Sounds like you have a bad PSU.

Good Luck, Jim

20. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

I do, I do. I've resolved to build me a new computer over the summer using the fancy new components sitting in the corner with dust on them.

Thanks for the insight, though.

21. idainc

idainc Private E-2

Very interested in the NewEgg part you referenced. Seems like it will fit actually when I measured the old psu and the replacement from OCZ. How did you get the old one out and are the minor dimension differences an issue ? Thanks.

22. global_dev

global_dev Private E-2

Is the PSU compatible in the original case? I have an 820G and it seems to hang from these special nub things and lock in place.

23. sire011886

sire011886 Private E-2

It fits fine physically. The computer just won't accept it.

Thanks for the reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds