new PSu for Geforce 6600GT??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Olley, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Olley

Olley Sergeant

hi y'all,
    im plannin on gettin a new gfx card cause my geforce 5200 FX is... well its crap, even on my 3.2GHzPrescott i cant get a stable framerate for games as Doom3... anyway, i was thinking of getting the Gainward GLH 6600GT. but im worried that my PSU 300W will not be enough to sustain it. do i have to get a new PSU? If yes which one would be good price/value?

( intel 3.2GHz Prescott
    1GB Ram
    2 x 160GB Samsung HD
    2 Optical Drives
    6in 1 Card Reader
    Wireless LAN card
    2 case fans.... )

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

I would, you are starting to ask alot of a 300w psu. I like antec true series maybe a 480w for your system.
    I also have a 500w Ultra the are new to the market but seem good it has moduler cables so you can plug in what you only need, really helps with cable clutter.

I am sure you will get alot more oppinons

Rick

3. Olley

Olley Sergeant

ok, so i should get a bigger one.... can i install just any PSU or does it have to be a specific one...which my mobo, case and other hardware support? i dont wanna order one only to find out that i cant use it... also.. ive been trying to overclick my cpu but it doesnt go far above 3,3GHz. The max i had was 3.5GHz, is that also cause my PSU doesnt deliver enough power to support this?

thanks, all comments are very welcome

4. Doby

Doby Sergeant

If you get a name brand such as antec true it will work fine for your system and case. Notice I said antec true thats because antec also makes lower quality psu's so make sure its the true series.

As far as overclocking, that depends mostly on cooling, mobo and the type of ram you have not so much the psu.

I can't say much about oc with a intel cpu as I don't use them

Rick

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

The newer video cards are real power hungry. So to be on the safe side make sure you get something 450W or higher.

Other then that I just wanted to add, you can buy pretty much any PSU on the market. I mean you need an ATX PSU. But pretty much everything in ATX these days, so you'll be hard pressed to try and mess up and buy something that won't work. :)

6. GeForce

GeForce Private E-2

7. Olley

Olley Sergeant

ok, thanks for your replies guys, i appreciate it!
    i was wondering how much i should spend on a psu, i realized that there are huge pricedifferences. for example i could buy a Q-Tec psu 450W for only 12BP or a Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower Active for about 50BPm huge price diff but it the cheaper one gonna blow up in my face after half a year?

8. Olley

Olley Sergeant

i was also wondering what the difference between ATX and ATX2.2 is... ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds